umpstu

All Star FM4000MAG

14 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

Did someone release a hard plastic plate that could be put into the hat as a way of protecting pitchers against concussions from line drives hit back at them? I remember a pitcher for the Ray's had such a hat. But it was bulky, cumbersome, and looked like he was a toddler wearing his dad's size 8 lid.

Not sure if this would work, but maybe worth looking into? From Gerry Davis Sports.

https://www.gerrydavis.com/product/B51AC01/Con-Cushion-Mask-Enhancer.html?cid=19

1 hour ago, JonnyCat said:

Not sure if this would work, but maybe worth looking into? From Gerry Davis Sports.

https://www.gerrydavis.com/product/B51AC01/Con-Cushion-Mask-Enhancer.html?cid=19

Thanks. Just sent a message to Gerry Davis sports FB page asking him what his experience with it has been.  Fit and hat coming off issues.

• Like 1

He might be getting paid to use/endorse it. Plus, he's selling them, so..............................

Oh, and he also put out the Davishield, so...............................Just sayin'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, kylejt said:

He might be getting paid to use/endorse it. Plus, he's selling them, so..............................

Oh, and he also put out the Davishield, so...............................Just sayin'

Ordered it anyways.

"Good for 50 games of one season. Whichever comes first". 

So it "wears out" after a year? Strange.  I guess the plastic dries out?  

26 minutes ago, Richvee said:

"Good for 50 games of one season. Whichever comes first". 

So it "wears out" after a year? Strange.  I guess the plastic dries out?  

I live in a desert and plastic goes quick out here.  Heck, the glue melted on the toes of my NB base shoes.  I ordered that con-cushion today.

2 minutes ago, umpstu said:

I live in a desert and plastic goes quick out here.  Heck, the glue melted on the toes of my NB base shoes.  I ordered that con-cushion today.

Makes sense the more I think about it. Plastic eyeglass frames get dry and brittle over time....  lose their elasticity. Same principle here. 

13 hours ago, Richvee said:

Makes sense the more I think about it. Plastic eyeglass frames get dry and brittle over time....  lose their elasticity. Same principle here. 

I stopped buying any type of plastic lawn furniture.  After a few years they fall apart when you sit in them.  I believe heat is also the culprit for the handles on my F3 equipment bag.  A couple ripped in the middle of the handles, not at the seams.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, umpstu said:

I stopped buying any type of plastic lawn furniture.  After a few years they fall apart when you sit in them.  I believe heat is also the culprit for the handles on my F3 equipment bag.  A couple ripped in the middle of the handles, not at the seams.

I refuse to admit whether or not I  have personally fallen on my ass from this. But I can say I know people that have. Lol

• Haha 1

Why are we talking about this in the Mag thread?  Anyway, I have it.  I like it a lot.  And despite the "50 games" i will use it beyond that.  Its not as though at game 51 it is useless or worse...going to hurt you if you get hit.  

1 hour ago, acpar72 said:

Why are we talking about this in the Mag thread?  Anyway, I have it.  I like it a lot.  And despite the "50 games" i will use it beyond that.  Its not as though at game 51 it is useless or worse...going to hurt you if you get hit.  

Here's an interesting question to tie this all back to the Mag. Does your Gerry Davis pad insert thing work with the Mag? or is the angle of the top pad somewhat restrictive to using this device?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, grk17 said:

Here's an interesting question to tie this all back to the Mag. Does your Gerry Davis pad insert thing work with the Mag? or is the angle of the top pad somewhat restrictive to using this device?

Good question...it does work.  Only difference is it takes less Velcro to get around the unit.  Now, there is some heft to it and considering how light the Mag is...makes it feel a bit out of balance.  However, I think it is a really good addition to the mag up top. 

10 hours ago, acpar72 said:

We're talking about it because some have brought up concern w/ the upper pad on the MAG.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Go Navy Beat Army said:

Some mentioned cap inserts.  I'm thinking of one of these to wear with a traditional mask.  They have a frontal version and a version that protects about 85% of the area under the cap.  Seems interesting to me.

https://unequal.com/uncap-hdr/

https://unequal.com/uncap-baseball/

Didn't even know these existed .... hmmmmmm .........

@MadMax

5 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

We're talking about it because some have brought up concern w/ the upper pad on the MAG.

In that case...it makes a really good addition. 

• Haha 2

On 10/28/2018 at 7:42 PM, umpstu said:

Ordered it anyways.

Received it yesterday and installed it, properly I hope.  Adjusted the top strap of harness and it fits fine.  Only issue is I have to use 2 of the 50 games on jv and freshmen fall ball this coming Tuesday.

On 10/29/2018 at 5:58 PM, BT_Blue said:

I refuse to admit whether or not I  have personally fallen on my ass from this. But I can say I know people that have. Lol

I'll admit it.  Last time I bought it.  I had even lost weight.

Let's circle back to the All Star mask, with the lousy forehead pad, shall we?

Can a Team Wendy pad be put in its place? I know the bottom won't work, but can the top one do the job for umpiring duties? 

1 hour ago, kylejt said:

Can a Team Wendy pad be put in its place? I know the bottom won't work, but can the top one do the job for umpiring duties? 

Why wouldn't Team Wendy work on the bottom mask pad?

5 hours ago, kylejt said:

A Team Wendy upper pad works great in the All Star Mag. In fact, the Team Wendy upper pad is actually a little bit denser and thicker than the stock pad and creates just a little bit more standoff distance at the top, making it easier to take the mask on and off while wearing a 6 stitch cap

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/3/2018 at 2:50 PM, grk17 said:

A Team Wendy upper pad works great in the All Star Mag. In fact, the Team Wendy upper pad is actually a little bit denser and thicker than the stock pad and creates just a little bit more standoff distance at the top, making it easier to take the mask on and off while wearing a 6 stitch cap

Now the downside is that you have a random TW bottom pad.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2018 at 12:24 PM, kylejt said:

If you look at the bottom of Wolf’s mask, you can see that he uses the TW bottom pad for

his MAGs.

6490DAF7-7CDA-4147-B6CC-83FB022822BD.jpeg

• Like 3