Illegal pitch mechanic.

Tksjewelry

How do you signal then enforce an illegal pitch?

Had one last week and since it's not something Ive seen much of, I did what I believed was right. I'm BU. I held my left fist straight out, once the pitch was called a strike I called time and said "that's an illegal pitch, ball to the batter". I have no idea if that's even remotely close but it got the call across and no one said boo about it but I still want to have it right.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call it like a balk. I believe a batted illegal pitch works much the same way as a balk in OBR. I believe only softball still uses the extended arm for delayed dead ball.

FED, it would be dead, so "That's an illegal pitch, TIME. "

Following an illegal pitch the ball is delayed dead in NCAA and OBR. If the batter does not reach first, call a ball. Of course, with a runner(s) on base an illegal pitch is a balk.

NCAA rule 9-1d. If the pitcher makes an illegal pitch with the bases unoccupied, it is a ball unless the batter reaches first base on a hit, an error, a base on balls, a hit batter or otherwise.

NCAA rule 2 SECTION 43. Illegal Pitch A pitch delivered to the batter without the pitcher’s pivot foot in contact with the pitcher’s rubber or the pitcher making a quick return pitch. With no runner(s) on base, it is a ball; with a runner(s) on base, it is a balk (see 9-1-d; 9-2-a; and 9-3-i).

OBR rule 6.02(b) Illegal Pitches With Bases Unoccupied

If the pitcher makes an illegal pitch with the bases unoccupied, it shall be called a ball unless the batter reaches first base on a hit, an error, a base on balls, a hit batter or otherwise.