Feign to Third Balk ?

Guest NJ Coach
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2086 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest NJ Coach

I've been googling this a.m. and have found differing answers.

12U Ripken....R1 and R3.  Right-handed pitcher comes set.   R1 takes off for second, and pitcher feigns throw to 3B.    Balk ?

9 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, MDFinny said:

depends on the rule set they are playing under. OBR  - yes a balk. NFHS - not a balk.

And, to be clear, "R1 takes off for second" has nothing to do with the ruling.

I *think* Cal Ripken uses OBR, and I didn't see an exception in a quick perusal of the rule book available on-line.  So, this would be a balk.

• Thanks 1

2018 Babe Ruth/Cal Ripken rule 8.05 If there is a runner, or runners, it is a balk when —

(b) The pitcher, while touching his plate, feints a throw to first or third base and fails to complete the throw…

Rule 8.05(c) Comment: …A pitcher is to step directly toward a base before throwing to that base, and is required to throw (except to second base) because he steps. It is a balk if, with runners on first and third, the pitcher steps toward third and does not throw, merely to bluff the runner back to third; then seeing the runner on first start for second, turn and step toward and throw to first base. It is legal for a pitcher to feint a throw to second base.

52 minutes ago, LMSANS said:

I believe coach Ives has stated that the feint to 3B is still okay in LL.

LL has not adjusted their book to the current OBR. In fact, they still have the rule in place where a literal rule reader (I know some) would use the LLG book 6.05(g) to call the batter out on a "double hit".

1 hour ago, LMSANS said:

I believe coach Ives has stated that the feint to 3B is still okay in LL.

Thanks.Doing some 50/70 LL tourney games next week. I better brush up. Haven't done LL in quite a while.