Batting order

Guest John Canfield
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2109 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest John Canfield

I was told of a recent situation and wonder if it was true.

the manager supposedly changed the lineup position of a player during the game.

the player had started the game as usual, had an at bat and later in the game the manager had him bat in a different spot in the lineup.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

11 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, Guest John Canfield said:

the player had started the game as usual, had an at bat and later in the game the manager had him bat in a different spot in the lineup.

Yes: that's absolutely true. Managers try to do all kinds of illegal things to gain an advantage.

5 hours ago, Guest John Canfield said:

Or, maybe the player batted out of order the first time, it wasn't caught / appealed, and then the player batted in the correct spot the second time.

Where / when did this (supposedly) happen?  If it's just some "random" youh game somewhere, there's likely no way for anyone here to know if it actually happened..

On 7/7/2018 at 8:21 AM, Guest John Canfield said:

A shopper at a store stuffed some merchandise in their pockets and left without paying.

The shopper had money as usual, walked around the store, selected the stuff they wanted, and then just left the store without going through the cash registers.

Guest NJ Coach

If I may be so bold....if no substitutions occurred,  then no.   But could there be a local rule about re-entry at another place in the order, especially at the lower levels/ages ?

I played in an adult recreational softball league where that was allowed IIRC.  When you replaced a player,  you took that player's spot in the order even if you batted someplace else before subbing out.

There are no rules of baseball that would allow a manager to move a batter from one spot in the line-up to another. If you re-enter, you re-enter in the spot you were at, not a different spot. End of story, no exceptions. 

Guest NJ Coach

There are no rules of baseball that set pitch limits according to player's age....yet there are local rules in every youth league to cover this.   My point was,  it seems to me the OP's scenario could well be possible in local rules somewhere, especially at a lower level.

How about if a young player is replaced due to injury...and someone else from the bench takes that spot in the order even though he had already batted someplace else in the order.

Impossible ? I dare say a local rule somewhere probably allows it.

50 minutes ago, aaluck said:

There are no rules of baseball that would allow a manager to move a batter from one spot in the line-up to another. If you re-enter, you re-enter in the spot you were at, not a different spot. End of story, no exceptions. 

Up until this year LL rules allowed re-entry into a different slot.

13 minutes ago, Guest NJ Coach said:

There are no rules of baseball that set pitch limits according to player's age....  LL Rules are set  up this way.

How about if a young player is replaced due to injury...and someone else from the bench takes that spot in the order even though he had already batted someplace else in the order.  Can happen in LL rules.

Interspaced responses.

On 7/9/2018 at 11:33 AM, Rich Ives said:

Probably shouldn’t have said never. Not familiar with LL and local rules. Being 50+ I should know better than to say never....and a lot of other things....