Sign in to follow this  
crussellii

Hello from PA

Took my PIAA football test and decided to also take my baseball test as well. Hooked up win a local summer league association and got my first game in June. Probably have done 14 games while coaching two Pony league teams and what a diffent perspective this gives you of the game. Played ball all my life and then coached, and what a benefit Umpiring has been so far. I was never the argumentative coach on calls, but the appreciation I have for all that have done this my whole and before is unexplainable. The things I’m able to teach my players about the game now, goes far beyond what I could have without this experience. I wish I would have done this 20 years ago, but I’m looking forward to a long career of being part of the game. So to all of you all who have sacrificed free time for a little bit of money, dealing with extreme heat, parents coaches, etc. my hat is off to you all. No one sees the big picture that  without umpires the kids have no games. Great forums and lots of great advice and tips on here. 

1 hour ago, crussellii said:

Took my PIAA football test and decided to also take my baseball test as well. Hooked up win a local summer league association and got my first game in June. Probably have done 14 games while coaching two Pony league teams and what a diffent perspective this gives you of the game. Played ball all my life and then coached, and what a benefit Umpiring has been so far. I was never the argumentative coach on calls, but the appreciation I have for all that have done this my whole and before is unexplainable. The things I’m able to teach my players about the game now, goes far beyond what I could have without this experience. I wish I would have done this 20 years ago, but I’m looking forward to a long career of being part of the game. So to all of you all who have sacrificed free time for a little bit of money, dealing with extreme heat, parents coaches, etc. my hat is off to you all. No one sees the big picture that  without umpires the kids have no games. Great forums and lots of great advice and tips on here. 

It's not about the money for most (debatable) guys that take up this avocation. But I have used this line before to recruit a previous coach, baseball daddy: "You put a bunch of money into baseball while your kid was playing, now you get to take some out and get the best seat in the house." I heard it from somewhere else. 

• Like 1

Although I would no longer umpire for free I like being on the field with younger people. It keeps my mind younger.  Now if my feet would still feel younger it would be even better.  I just love being on a baseball field.

Where in PA are you? There are a number of PA people on board, most of whom are PIAA-certified.

3 hours ago, LRZ said:

Where in PA are you? There are a number of PA people on board, most of whom are PIAA-certified.

South of Pittsburgh in Washington PA. It’s going to be tough to do high school ball because the games start too early and I work until 5pm. If I can get some next season great, but I’m having fun with the youth ball. Some games are tough when both teams struggle, but at least baseball is being played. I’d love to get my nephew involved but at 13 I can’t find anywhere where he can be a junior umpire. 

1 hour ago, crussellii said:

South of Pittsburgh in Washington PA. It’s going to be tough to do high school ball because the games start too early and I work until 5pm. If I can get some next season great, but I’m having fun with the youth ball. Some games are tough when both teams struggle, but at least baseball is being played. I’d love to get my nephew involved but at 13 I can’t find anywhere where he can be a junior umpire. 

Here, on the other side of PA, there is a LL-affiliated program that uses junior umpires for in-house games.

1 hour ago, LRZ said:

Here, on the other side of PA, there is a LL-affiliated program that uses junior umpires for in-house games.

Yeah since we in the “Home of Pony League” most teams in this area follow Pony baseball rules. I was thinking LL did allow Junior umpires for in house and I’d even have him work in house lower level games with me like mustang, not that two people are needed, but just to get experience. Our summer chapter for umpires, you have to be 17. I’ll look further into this summer/fall and maybe I’ll find somewhere close. I think it’s a perfect summer job, so hopefully he can get involved much younger than myself. Thanks for the info

If you ever hang up coaching, there are TONS of tournaments/leagues in your area that will keep you busy.

If you feel like you are getting in a good groove at some point, I know they are always looking for umpires in the Daily News League,  26 and older league, and NABA, and a lot of them play in south hills and Washington.

6 hours ago, GPblue said:

If you ever hang up coaching, there are TONS of tournaments/leagues in your area that will keep you busy.

If you feel like you are getting in a good groove at some point, I know they are always looking for umpires in the Daily News League,  26 and older league, and NABA, and a lot of them play in south hills and Washington.

Yes I got in late this year in June and I could have had a ton of games. My coaching days are nearing the end as my nephew is 13 so after next year it will be high school ball. This will definitely be my new hobby. Never heard of thit daily news league, will have to check that out. I wouldn’t put myself at that level yet, but certainly with more experience. Thank you for the info! 

18 hours ago, crussellii said:

Yes I got in late this year in June and I could have had a ton of games. My coaching days are nearing the end as my nephew is 13 so after next year it will be high school ball. This will definitely be my new hobby. Never heard of thit daily news league, will have to check that out. I wouldn’t put myself at that level yet, but certainly with more experience. Thank you for the info! 

It's an Adult wood bat league.  fairly competitive.  It's a mix of college guys, guys recently out of college, and guys that still think they are in college(beer muscles).