Base Running Question

Guest RPW
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2063 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

I saw this play, but can't remember the level...  R1 on first, batter hits a long fly down left field line, which is run down and caught by the left fielder.  R1 has rounded 2nd, and goes back to first, appearing not to have re-tag 2nd base.  After the ball comes back to the Pitcher, time is called and a new batter steps in the box.  During the time out, the defensive bench tells the Pitcher to make an appeal to second for the the failure to re-tag, after the ball is put back into play.  I guess the R1 is now on notice that he is dead, leads off first, and as soon as the Pitcher toes the rubber makes a break for 2nd.  Pitcher steps off and throws R1 at 2nd...  Question:  If R1 had been safe on the throw to second, would he have been safe, since his "re-tag" of second happened after the time out.  Thanks in advance for a ruling, as I have wondered about this since seeing this unusual play.

11 answers to this question

9 minutes ago, noumpere said:

Your question is a little bit confusing to me but -- if R1 corrects his baserunning error on the "last time by" he is no longer liable to be out on appeal.

N...what is meant by "last time by"?

1 hour ago, Guest RPW said:

N...what is meant by "last time by"?

Last time the runner passes the bag.  The runner needed to touch the bag on his way to first, (last time by).  If he beats the throw to second after the timeout then he's good to go.

22 minutes ago, Guest GeeBee said:

Could the base runner still be out on appeal at 1st after legally retouching 2nd?

What did the runner do illegally at first?  As I read the play, he was on first to start, and re-touched the base after the ball was caught.  There's nothing to appeal there.

Doesn't it matter if this is FED or OBR?   ie. in FED he can't correct his base running error after the ball is dead??...but I assume this is just a verbal dead ball appeal in FED too?

Otherwise, he's safe for simply beating the tag, whether you call it an appeal, or a steal attempt, (though on an appeal the base can be tagged instead) and the timeout doesn't really matter.

1 hour ago, beerguy55 said:

Doesn't it matter if this is FED or OBR?   ie. in FED he can't correct his base running error after the ball is dead??...but I assume this is just a verbal dead ball appeal in FED too?

A runner can correct his running error after the ball has become dead in all codes, with one exception, which is different in FED than in OBR:

In FED, a runner cannot return to a base if he is beyond the next base when the ball has become dead (with the exception of if the defense intentionally puts the ball out of play to stop him from returning, a discussion of which I believe you took part in the past few weeks.)

In OBR, a runner cannot return to a base if he reaches the next base from his current point after the ball has become dead.

Neither of those exceptions apply here, as he was not on an advance base when the ball ceased to be live.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Matt said:

In FED, a runner cannot return to a base if he is beyond the next base when the ball has become dead (with the exception of if the defense intentionally puts the ball out of play to stop him from returning, a discussion of which I believe you took part in the past few weeks.)

Indeed I was...I didn't know the context of the statement was limited to that one scenario.  Thanks for the clarification.