goody14

Can you do anything here?

20 hours ago, Jimurray said:

Hey, high level high school state playoffs, how could that happen? Don't ask @Jglopez7 in Texas^_^

How did I get brought into this? 

Gentlemen,

With all due respect, especially since this thread happened a year ago, why does 8-1-1e.1 does not apply here? IMO 10-2-3 and the mistake by the PU has nothing to do with it. Apply the rule as written.

1. 8.1.1- F2 obstructs the BR, BR and all runners moving advance 1 base, if all do advance the OBS is ignored. If they are not advancing no award for that runner unless forced.  

2. The time and situation is 2 outs, right? it is a hit ball right? Anyone whoever played baseball knows the runners are running, so even if the crew cannot see the runners running obviously they are, especially if the ball is heading to center.

3. So if I am on that crew I flashing the extra information signal we used, get people together, and lobby for R3 scoring, R2 to 3B and BR to 1B no matter when time was called.

36 minutes ago, jkumpire said:

Gentlemen,

With all due respect, especially since this thread happened a year ago, why does 8-1-1e.1 does not apply here? IMO 10-2-3 and the mistake by the PU has nothing to do with it. Apply the rule as written.

1. 8.1.1- F2 obstructs the BR, BR and all runners moving advance 1 base, if all do advance the OBS is ignored. If they are not advancing no award for that runner unless forced.  

2. The time and situation is 2 outs, right? it is a hit ball right? Anyone whoever played baseball knows the runners are running, so even if the crew cannot see the runners running obviously they are, especially if the ball is heading to center.

3. So if I am on that crew I flashing the extra information signal we used, get people together, and lobby for R3 scoring, R2 to 3B and BR to 1B no matter when time was called.

Because "all runners moving" refers to a steal attempt, not on the hit. Thus, you cannot hang your hat on unforced runners being awarded a base by rule (unless they were all moving on the pitch.)

Matt,

2019 Casebook: 

8.1.1 SITUATION E: 

R2 is on second. F2 obstructs B2 but he hits and reaches first safely but R2, who was not moving on the pitch, is thrown out at home plate.                                                             RULING: Obstruction is ignored since R2 advanced one base and B2 reached first base safely. R2's advance past third was at his own risk and he is out. (5-1-2b, 8-3-3d)

I still think this is a possbility, but then the fly in the ointment is that the PU killed the play. will rethink my opinion.

30 minutes ago, jkumpire said:

Matt,

2019 Casebook: 

8.1.1 SITUATION E: 

R2 is on second. F2 obstructs B2 but he hits and reaches first safely but R2, who was not moving on the pitch, is thrown out at home plate.                                                             RULING: Obstruction is ignored since R2 advanced one base and B2 reached first base safely. R2's advance past third was at his own risk and he is out. (5-1-2b, 8-3-3d)

I still think this is a possbility, but then the fly in the ointment is that the PU killed the play. will rethink my opinion.

Not relevant. R2 was not awarded third on the play; it mentions that because that is part of the condition to ignore the penalty for CO/CI.

Matt,

I am sorry but I disagree, it is relevant. The point of the play we are talking about is that the plate umpire killed a play that should not have been killed by rule (obstruction of the Batter by F2). I think the case play gives the crew latitude to move the runners one base, just like you award the batter one base. there are two out, the ball is hit to the outfield, and the runners are running as soon as the ball is hit. I believe this allows the crew to score R3,  put R2 on 3B and the Batter at 1B. 

I may be a minority of one here, but I believe the award is justifiable here. I apologize for bringing this thread back up.