Catch/no catch in regional

Gfoley4
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2137 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Just now, noumpere said:

I'm a little confused as to why it needed to be embedded -- especially in the large format, in a separate post, with no comment   It makes it look like you have another play to discuss.

I recognize I'm in the minority here.

I guess my thought was that it provided a few different angles. Not that it would have changed the call any, but the variety of angles can be nice. I can take it out if the group prefers that it go away. 

3 hours ago, maven said:

Still not a catch.

Got any more video of this play? I can do this all day!

I think that video actually solidifies the call.  As soon as that kid raised his glove up the ball is flying in the air.  No way is that a catch.

31 minutes ago, johnnyg08 said:

I guess my thought was that it provided a few different angles. Not that it would have changed the call any, but the variety of angles can be nice. I can take it out if the group prefers that it go away. 

There's nothing wrong with having it (IMO): but when you post the same play, you might mention your rationale for reposting (additional angles, better quality video, etc.).

Typical asshole behavior by the player.  I tried to showboat, effed up the catch and now I'm going to blame it on the umpire.  Go F*#K yourself, kid.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, maven said:

There's nothing wrong with having it (IMO): but when you post the same play, you might mention your rationale for reposting (additional angles, better quality video, etc.).

Yeah, if it's not intuitive, folks will just have to deal with it. The thought behind it is either better quality, additional angles, or something else of value. 

Just a dupe video should be removed, especially if the original one is already embedded. 

Thanks for the feedback guys. 

Did anyone see a recent MLB  great play at 1B where after stretching and gloving the throw, his momentum turning his back to U1, F3 voluntarily popped the ball or, less likely, lost contact with it as it popped out of his glove, and then caught it with his throwing hand as he turned to show it to U1. U1, I assume, seeing the ball in F3’s hand, thought it was voluntary release, which I think the flip of the ball to the hand was. That would be a catch no matter what but it could have been not secure possession on the tag of 1B. 

Nevermind, it wasn't recent except for my youtube search of Kela's pitching stance. :20 to :25

Edited by Jimurray
added link

Had this one in our area this year in D3.  Fly ball to center field.  CF running to the wall makes the catch and his momentum takes him into the wall and he tries to show boat and do a "BO Jackson run up the wall".  when he comes back down field umpire looks for the ball and CF doesn't have it.....he dropped it over the wall.....

• Haha 1