Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2036 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

2 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

and one would think for advertising, they would have the harness properly adjusted.

Would look better if he were to be strategically holding a bottle of diet coke, or Doritos.  It's all product placement.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LoneBlueStar said:

This sounds like a thread right up in the @MadMax wheelhouse.

How does this mask compare to the Allstar Magnesium, besides being about half the price?

And are the pads decent?

First off it's got a Champro harness and all the cool kids are wearing one.

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, Scotty_Ump said:

When coaches start yapping about my zone, I simply look away and show them my Champro harness.

That shuts them up pretty quickly.  :D

It is intimidating, that's for sure.

2 hours ago, kylejt said:

My first question is always, Can I fit TW pads in there?

I gave my older Champro Mag to a MiLB umpire, as a backup, so this might be it's replacement. Far better looking than the polished silver, IMO, plus no glare.

The poolished silver one's inside is a matte finish for glare issues.

The big difference between this latest Champro Rampage and the All-Star FM4000MAG, @umpstu, is “origin of purpose”.

I’ve said it before, All-Star is a catcher’s company. Through exhaustive design process and testing, All-Star arrived at a mask geometry that was physically unique in the industry, and not only presented a signature look, but most importantly allowed the maximum amount of contact between the pads and the wearer’s face. The mask also presents minimal flat facets to an impacting ball (which cannot be said about that stupid Wilson Ti Low Profile). 

Here’s my extensive review of the FM4000MAG: 

In summary, the FM4000MAG is All-Star’s flagship, signature, tentpole mask. It is the ideal non-mechanical mask for the professional catcher. Similar to the origin of the Nike “Icon” Titanium as a catcher’s mask (for Jorge Posada), and it passed along to interested umpires, the new FM4000 has attracted the interest of umpires, and All-Star has (refreshingly) already accommodated umpires by casting it in black and making a for-umpire harness for it. There’s also hints of one-off customizations being done for umpires (Guccione, for one). It’s important to emphasize, though, that this mask is targeted at professional and high-level catchers, and accordingly, commands a price point to match.

Champro, though, is not a top-tier company. They are not on par with Wilson, Rawlings, UnderArmour, Nike, Mizuno, or All-Star. Nor are they necessarily trying to be. Champro exists in that second tier, alongside Schutt, Diamond, Champion, Easton, and Boombah, their size and corporate simplicity allow them to be more reactive to developments and bold on advancements. These second-tier companies are also heavily invested in and dependent upon overseas (ie. China) production. Chinese production facilities and factories have no restrictions and no scruples about copying production techniques and products to market through other channels.

So, without knowing the exact details, it would appear that All-Star laid down the groundwork on how to make a die-cast Magnesium-alloy mask, and Champro either approached their fabricator, or their fabricator approached them and presented that they could do a weld-less, die-cast mask too. It’s worth mentioning, Champro and +POS had both offered Magnesium masks before, but these had been bonded (not welded). While light and strong, they still had the potential of the bonded joints being popped apart if struck hard / often enough. Besides, since they were offered by little-known names like Champro and +POS, they lacked the market recognition of the big companies like Wilson.

The Champro Rampage draws its layout from some very progressive Japanese mask designs. While the FM4000 is ideally suited for catchers, the Rampage is much better suited for umpires. It has a larger forehead section so it can accommodate larger hat bills (and even a hard hat!) and sun visors. The extended chin guard is much taller, so it can be worn without a dangling throat guard, but has just enough forward rake to it so a dangling throat guard can be used. The ear guards are minuscule, which doesn’t matter much to umpires because we shouldn’t be turning our heads much at all (but this mask may not be ideal for new umpires in training). Two big factors stand out over all else, though...

1. It’s not sold with any advanced, specialized pads. The use of Magnesium, with how low-density it is, means that any impacting energy will instantly transfer to the pads. So, it is more crucial than ever to have high-quality pads. All-Star addressed this by dramatically increasing the volume of the pads and inserting a hard-cast distributor plate within the pad. Even Force3 has put Kevlar within the body of the Defender’s pads! I’m certain that this is reflected in the cost of the masks when sold with these advanced, specialized pads. Point is, the time of foam-filled leather sausages is over! The good news is, the Rampage’s layout will accommodate Team Wendy’s, MemoryFoam and other “newer” pads.
  2. It’s die-cast Magnesium, without welds, and as such, it will not bend and it will not break. The All-Star has the added benefit of being exhaustively tested and refined so that the geometry – like a stealth aircraft – presents the minimal amount of flat facet to a ball impact. I can’t say the same for the Rampage. We also know that the FM4000MAG is injection-molded (the injection tabs on the earguards indicate that), so molten Magnesium is forced into it for even distribution, while it looks like the Rampage is gravity-tray molded and pressed (think like a waffle iron). I’m confident that the Rampage, as a line, won’t fail, but individual masks may have uneven material distribution.

I am looking forward to getting one and trying it out, but I will certainly be putting TWs in it immediately...

... oh, and putting a Honig’s or +POS harness on it. That harness is uuuggggllllyyyy, and is only like that to get noticed. It’s no less ugly than a big yellow W on the chin – anything to get noticed.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MadMax said:

The big difference between this latest Champro Rampage and the All-Star FM4000MAG, @umpstu, is “origin of purpose”.

I’ve said it before, All-Star is a catcher’s company. Through exhaustive design process and testing, All-Star arrived at a mask geometry that was physically unique in the industry, and not only presented a signature look, but most importantly allowed the maximum amount of contact between the pads and the wearer’s face. The mask also presents minimal flat facets to an impacting ball (which cannot be said about that stupid Wilson Ti Low Profile). 

Here’s my extensive review of the FM4000MAG: 

In summary, the FM4000MAG is All-Star’s flagship, signature, tentpole mask. It is the ideal non-mechanical mask for the professional catcher. Similar to the origin of the Nike “Icon” Titanium as a catcher’s mask (for Jorge Posada), and it passed along to interested umpires, the new FM4000 has attracted the interest of umpires, and All-Star has (refreshingly) already accommodated umpires by casting it in black and making a for-umpire harness for it. There’s also hints of one-off customizations being done for umpires (Guccione, for one). It’s important to emphasize, though, that this mask is targeted at professional and high-level catchers, and accordingly, commands a price point to match.

Champro, though, is not a top-tier company. They are not on par with Wilson, Rawlings, UnderArmour, Nike, Mizuno, or All-Star. Nor are they necessarily trying to be. Champro exists in that second tier, alongside Schutt, Diamond, Champion, Easton, and Boombah, their size and corporate simplicity allow them to be more reactive to developments and bold on advancements. These second-tier companies are also heavily invested in and dependent upon overseas (ie. China) production. Chinese production facilities and factories have no restrictions and no scruples about copying production techniques and products to market through other channels.

So, without knowing the exact details, it would appear that All-Star laid down the groundwork on how to make a die-cast Magnesium-alloy mask, and Champro either approached their fabricator, or their fabricator approached them and presented that they could do a weld-less, die-cast mask too. It’s worth mentioning, Champro and +POS had both offered Magnesium masks before, but these had been bonded (not welded). While light and strong, they still had the potential of the bonded joints being popped apart if struck hard / often enough. Besides, since they were offered by little-known names like Champro and +POS, they lacked the market recognition of the big companies like Wilson.

The Champro Rampage draws its layout from some very progressive Japanese mask designs. While the FM4000 is ideally suited for catchers, the Rampage is much better suited for umpires. It has a larger forehead section so it can accommodate larger hat bills (and even a hard hat!) and sun visors. The extended chin guard is much taller, so it can be worn without a dangling throat guard, but has just enough forward rake to it so a dangling throat guard can be used. The ear guards are minuscule, which doesn’t matter much to umpires because we shouldn’t be turning our heads much at all (but this mask may not be ideal for new umpires in training). Two big factors stand out over all else, though...

1. It’s not sold with any advanced, specialized pads. The use of Magnesium, with how low-density it is, means that any impacting energy will instantly transfer to the pads. So, it is more crucial than ever to have high-quality pads. All-Star addressed this by dramatically increasing the volume of the pads and inserting a hard-cast distributor plate within the pad. Even Force3 has put Kevlar within the body of the Defender’s pads! I’m certain that this is reflected in the cost of the masks when sold with these advanced, specialized pads. Point is, the time of foam-filled leather sausages is over! The good news is, the Rampage’s layout will accommodate Team Wendy’s, MemoryFoam and other “newer” pads.
  2. It’s die-cast Magnesium, without welds, and as such, it will not bend and it will not break. The All-Star has the added benefit of being exhaustively tested and refined so that the geometry – like a stealth aircraft – presents the minimal amount of flat facet to a ball impact. I can’t say the same for the Rampage. We also know that the FM4000MAG is injection-molded (the injection tabs on the earguards indicate that), so molten Magnesium is forced into it for even distribution, while it looks like the Rampage is gravity-tray molded and pressed (think like a waffle iron). I’m confident that the Rampage, as a line, won’t fail, but individual masks may have uneven material distribution.

I am looking forward to getting one and trying it out, but I will certainly be putting TWs in it immediately...

... oh, and putting a Honig’s or +POS harness on it. That harness is uuuggggllllyyyy, and is only like that to get noticed. It’s no less ugly than a big yellow W on the chin – anything to get noticed.

MadMax, You are an incredible human being. Thanks for another informative post.

There's a discount site that's offering this frame with two different pads, Dri-Gear or Bio-Fresh. And thoughts on the differences?

Style # CM83: BIO FRESH-Enhances products by giving them a shield against odor and bacteria.
Style # CM84: DRI-GEAR- Allows moisture to escape, keeping you cool and dry.

36 minutes ago, kylejt said:

There's a discount site that's offering this frame with two different pads, Dri-Gear or Bio-Fresh. And thoughts on the differences?

Style # CM83: BIO FRESH-Enhances products by giving them a shield against odor and bacteria.
Style # CM84: DRI-GEAR- Allows moisture to escape, keeping you cool and dry.

AWESOME.  And it's a pretty good discount.

15 minutes ago, kylejt said:

I found a different site, where I was able to get the CM83, with a sunshield, delivered for $110. And, I was able to get my mother-in-law to pay for it. TOP THAT! (birthday check, actually)

No teasing... where?

I'm torn on getting one of these. I really like my other Champro mask.

1 hour ago, scrounge said:

An intriguing mask, but at $125 plus $40 for TW pads or other pads, you're right at the F3 price point.

This and the Wilson DynAlum are why I despise the conventional retail system. I’d much rather mix and match components of my choosing than have token crap put on an item so the profit margin is preserved. So, I just want the frame. Just sell me the frame!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, kylejt said:

I found a different site, where I was able to get the CM83, with a sunshield, delivered for $110. And, I was able to get my mother-in-law to pay for it. TOP THAT! (birthday check, actually)

Is it Awesome?  If so, where did you get the sun shield?