Sign in to follow this  
Guest quickcheck

suspended game

Question

Guest quickcheck

A suspended game occurs in April to be resumed in June.  Meanwhile the backup catcher (not yet entered the game) has been injured or traded.  Can he be replaced for the resumption of the game?

4 answers to this question

10 minutes ago, Guest quickcheck said:

A suspended game occurs in April to be resumed in June.  Meanwhile the backup catcher (not yet entered the game) has been injured or traded.  Can he be replaced for the resumption of the game?

Yes.

And if the backup catcher was traded to the other team involved he can play for them in the resumption.

Suppose the player was originally the home team pitcher,.  The game is tied after the top half of an inning when the game is suspended.  The pitcher is traded to the visiting team, and enters to pitch the bottom half of the inning when the game is resumed.  The pitcher gives up the game wining run.

He's now both the winning and the losing pitcher.

(Okay -- I didn't really check the scoring rules on this -- I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader.)

• Like 1

I agree with Mr. Rich Ives and here is the supporting rule (emphasis added)--

2018 OBR 7.02(c) A suspended game shall be resumed at the exact point of suspension of the original game. The completion of a suspended game is a continuation of the original game. The lineup and batting order of both teams shall be exactly the same as the lineup and batting order at the moment of suspension, subject to the rules governing substitution. Any player may be replaced by a player who had not been in the game prior to the suspension. No player removed before the suspension may be returned to the lineup.

A player who was not with the club when the game was suspended may be used as a substitute, even if he has taken the place of a player no longer with the club who would not have been eligible because he had been removed from the lineup before the game was suspended.

• Thanks 1

Mr. noumpere, in an article written by Brian Cronin in 2012, he tells us about a professional pitcher who did exactly that--

BASEBALL URBAN LEGEND: A pitcher once was both the winning pitcher as well as the losing pitcher in a baseball game.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/apr/18/news/la-sports-legend-revealed-mauro-ruiz-20120418

I love baseball history and lore. So thanks to you, mr. noumpere, for reminding us of this story.

• Like 1

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this