Interference with R2 and R3 both on 3B

Nic
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2130 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

13U OBR

R2 and R3, 1 out.

Rundown between HP and 3B resulting in interference on SS who clipped R3 going back to 3B. I signaled interference (and a delayed dead ball), and I had R3 protected to the base he was attempting to reach, which was BACK to 3B in this case.

F2 fires high and into LF after the collision. R3 returns to 3B and then takes off for the plate. F7 fires to F2 and retires R3 at home plate. I call R3 out. OHC was polite but wanted explanation.

1) Was I correct to protect back to 3B but call out when attempting to reach home on his own, or should I have awarded home?

2) Had R3 not attempted to score, both R2 and R3 would have been standing on 3B. R3 is protected at this point, in this hypothetical situation, but 3B smartly tags R2. What's the ruling there? I can foresee this happening again down the line.

Thanks in advance.

6 answers to this question

1)  You should have awarded home.
2)  Since R2 achieved third base during the rundown, then keep him there after R3 is awarded home.

This is obstruction, not interference.  The offense interferes, the defense obstructs.  What rule set?  I ask because in Fed, all obstruction is delayed dead.  If OBR or NCAA, this would be type one obstruction (play being made on the runner) and an immediate dead ball.  In either case there is a mandatory one base award and since the obstruction occurred between 3rd and home, you would award the runner home.  In Fed, the award is at least one base from where the obstruction occurred - doesn't matter where the runner was going - he's awarded home in this case.  In OBR and NCAA, you would call time and award the runner home, and place other runners where they would have ended up if the obstruction hadn't happened (R2 to third).

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

1)  You should have awarded home.
2)  Since R2 achieved third base during the rundown, then keep him there after R3 is awarded home.

This is obstruction, not interference.  The offense interferes, the defense obstructs.  What rule set?  I ask because in Fed, all obstruction is delayed dead.  If OBR or NCAA, this would be type one obstruction (play being made on the runner) and an immediate dead ball.  In either case there is a mandatory one base award and since the obstruction occurred between 3rd and home....

OBR thanks a bunch 

Just now, Nic said:

OBR thanks a bunch 

Okay - then this is an immediate dead ball, R3 awarded home and R2 to third if you feel he would have gotten there if not for the obstruction (sounds like he advanced there during the rundown).  In OBR, almost all rundowns are type 1 obstruction.  The only time it wouldn't be is if the defense had already thrown the ball away and then the runner was hindered.

1 minute ago, grayhawk said:

Okay - then this is an immediate dead ball, R3 awarded home and R2 to third if you feel he would have gotten there if not for the obstruction (sounds like he advanced there during the rundown).  In OBR, almost all rundowns are type 1 obstruction.  The only time it wouldn't be is if the defense had already thrown the ball away and then the runner was hindered.

Type 2 and delayed dead ball then?

1 minute ago, Nic said:

Type 2 and delayed dead ball then?

Yes, but it would be highly unusual.  Like if there was an overthrow and the ball was in the outfield, at which time the runner turned home and ran into a fielder.  If the ball is anywhere near the fielders in the rundown when the runner was obstructed, it's safer to call type 1 and kill the play.

1 minute ago, grayhawk said:

Yes, but it would be highly unusual.  Like if there was an overthrow and the ball was in the outfield, at which time the runner turned home and ran into a fielder.  If the ball is anywhere near the fielders in the rundown when the runner was obstructed, it's safer to call type 1 and kill the play.

Good stuff, thanks for your time.