Double Forfiet

Jimurray
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2159 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

36 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

A friend in Texas with the group that worked this game wanted me to ask @Gil to do a write up on this. I spaced on asking. But he said he would offer more "sources" if needed.

It would appear that by the letter of NJCAA law, the forfeit was by the letter. It appears the game was suspended. Why we don't know. Then NJCAA ruled on it. If the umps knew the NCAA rule I would think there would be maybe one or two ejections and game continues. So who did what?

3 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

It would appear that by the letter of NJCAA law, the forfeit was by the letter. It appears the game was suspended. Why we don't know. Then NJCAA ruled on it. If the umps knew the NCAA rule I would think there would be maybe one or two ejections and game continues. So who did what?

I would side with that they either got confused as to what to do? Or knew the NJCAA fight rule, but didn't want to be the ones to rule on the whole darn thing.

2 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

I would side with that they either got confused as to what to do? Or knew the NJCAA fight rule, but didn't want to be the ones to rule on the whole darn thing.

Easy peasy. They are in Texas. One or two HS playoff bench clearings, with similar rule wording, went without penalty in years past.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zoops said:

So what is the NJCAA fight rule?

NCAA:  "Leaving position to participate in a fight" is an ejection plus 4 game suspension.  

@Fittske24 was the one that provided the rule info during one of the Facebook conversations about it.

But basically, it is the HS rule. You leave your position it is over for you. Period, and of discussion. 

9 hours ago, zoops said:

So what is the NJCAA fight rule?

NCAA:  "Leaving position to participate in a fight" is an ejection plus 4 game suspension.  

Correct -- but it has to actually be "participate" -- not just face up with the other team on opposite sides of the coaches and umpires."  And, the suspensions (but not the ejections) may be staggered.

21 minutes ago, zoops said:

Has the NCAA ever given guidance or an interp on what would be considered "participating in a fight?"  i.e clearing the benches is okay as long as you don't escalate things?

2 hours ago, noumpere said:

Correct -- but it has to actually be "participate" -- not just face up with the other team on opposite sides of the coaches and umpires."  And, the suspensions (but not the ejections) may be staggered.

Your answer was given by @noumpere. Basically you need physicality for it to be participation. Merely doing "the dance" we see so often with these, is not enough. 

Also, NCAA allows "peacekeepers". If you jump in with the lone excuse to break it up. You are ok.