Rules differences from obr

Tksjewelry
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2128 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I'll be working some collegiate summer training ball this year and I know there was a thread on here a long while ago about the ncaa rules differences vs. Obr, can someone help me find it or point me to a good reference site. I wont be doing any plates so I don't need all the substitution stuff and I'll have good partners for that. Also any three man mechanic references that you all may know about would be helpful, if like to start learning that as we have next to none here but it's more prevalent back home.

The CCA manual actually has an app. But you can only get it if you are signed up through the NCAA page. I will look at home. I might have one from a few years back. Or I'm sure someone on here has hard copy newer than mine (it would be 3 years old of not more.)

In the 2016 BRD, Carl Childress states that there are twelve major rules where each level treats the situation differently. The designated hitter is one. The other eleven are:

Defense errs on appeal

Using an illegal bat

Using an illegal glove

Throw from dead ball area

Conferences/trips to the mound

Positions occupied at time of pitch or play

Fighting

Pitcher defaces ball

Pitcher goes to mouth

Hidden ball play

Illegal substitution

Also, if you search the term cca manual baseball you will find the following link: 

https://ncaabaseball.arbitersports.com/Groups/105039/Library/.../2018CCAManual.pd

Go there to find a pdf of the NCAA umpires manual which discusses mechanics for crews of two, three, four, and six umpires.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Senor Azul said:

Also, if you search the term cca manual baseball you will find the following link: 

https://ncaabaseball.arbitersports.com/Groups/105039/Library/.../2018CCAManual.pd

Go there to find a pdf of the NCAA umpires manual which discusses mechanics for crews of two, three, four, and six umpires.

Fair warning... I'm not sure if you will be able to access this without being a member of the NCAA page. Would be nice if you can. Just not 100% sure.

• Like 1

Probably the biggest ones I keep in my head when transitioning between OBR/NCAA games:

Third to First move is legal in NCAA.

P can also DH.

3 defensive trips per game.

FPSR (although it seems most amateur OBR leagues use one identical or very similar)

14 hours ago, zoops said:

FPSR (although it seems most amateur OBR leagues use one identical or very similar)

Reverso-world for us this summer. Independent pro league is running college kids out there, under MiLB rules (American League DH), with the only thing kept from NCAA is the slide at 2B.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MadMax said:

Reverso-world for us this summer. Independent pro league is running college kids out there, under MiLB rules (American League DH), with the only thing kept from NCAA is the slide at 2B.

While that will be a stricter criteria at 2B than OBR, the OBR HP collision rule will be stricter than the NCAA interp of it's own rule.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2018 at 7:12 PM, zoops said:

Probably the biggest ones I keep in my head when transitioning between OBR/NCAA games:

Third to First move is legal in NCAA.

P can also DH.

3 defensive trips per game.

No the P cant DH...

the Pitcher can hit..if hes not Pitching, then yes he can DH.. you can go from a 10 man lineup to 9, then back to 10.

3 hours ago, Haid D' Salaami said:

No the P cant DH...

the Pitcher can hit..if hes not Pitching, then yes he can DH.. you can go from a 10 man lineup to 9, then back to 10.

I think everyone knew what I meant

On 5/22/2018 at 10:01 AM, MadMax said:

Why only the slide at 2nd? Why not all bases in a force play situation?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Haid D' Salaami said:

No the P cant DH...

If there are 9 players, the starting pitcher is a P/DH and can be replaced in either capacity. For instance, if the pitcher is replaced as pitcher, he can remain as the DH.