Stepping out of the front of box

Guest Nic
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2143 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Behind the plate in a high school junior varsity tournament game.

Top of the first and the Warriors coaches start in with, "his front foot is out of the box when he swings."  Background: the area around the plate is turf and it's old and needs replaced. Painted white likes exist but are worn and faded. Its their home field. Its tough to accurately tell if it's on the line or JUST over.

"Okay coach, I'm tracking the ball and it's tough to see the front of the box and his toe at my angle, but I'll keep an eye on it." It was less than a half inch of it was at all. But again, hard to see to be completely accurate. Tough time to make 

"Well they are out of the box when they swing, its always So and So school doing it," he continues."

"Well I'll keep an eye on it and do my best to ensure the rules are adhered to, coach, thanks."

I warn the other team's coach, the "Tigers". I tell the "Warriors" coach I've warned them to hopefully correct the problem. 

He responded but I never heard his response. I moved outside over the catcher's shoulder to hopefully gain a better angle. 

It was distracting to continually track the ball and check the tedious detail everytime they swung the bat in a game where the offenders scored 20 runs (thanks in large part to 10 errors on the accusing team). 

But I Never heard another word -- for five innings. Top of 6, they start up again.

Experienced guys, how do you handle this and how do you track and check? Just do it? Is there a technique? I use the Jerry Davis and fix my head at the top of the zone. Track with eyes. 

Thanks in advance.

11 answers to this question

9 minutes ago, Guest Nic said:

. I moved outside over the catcher's shoulder to hopefully gain a better angle. 

:big_no

Stay in the slot!!!. Don't concern yourself over whining coaches. Defensive coach chirps about batter out of the front of box, my reply is "Coach, do you want me to track the ball or watch his feet?"

The only time you're gonna get this is when it's blatant. ..batter bunts the ball with a foot completely in front of the plate, or batter reaches so far across the plate you can't help but see his foot.  

20 minutes ago, Guest Nic said:

"Well I'll keep an eye on it and do my best to ensure the rules are adhered to, coach, thanks."

That's fine. 

21 minutes ago, Guest Nic said:

I warn the other team's coach, the "Tigers". I tell the "Warriors" coach I've warned them to hopefully correct the problem

I wouldn't recommend this. Maybe a discrete word with the offending team's head coach when that no one else can see or hear in between innings. However by the sound of it, these guys were not going to be receptive to a discrete word.   Additionally if I do have that discrete chat with the offensive coach,   I'm certainly not telling the complaining coach I spoke to them about it. 

Don't let coach's throw you off your game. Call what you can see.  

• Like 1

I can't remember if it was on here or elsewhere  (read that as Facebook) this same question came up... sans the story with it.

The plate umpire, a very seasoned umpire, calls a pitch and hears it from the DHC about the foot being out of the box on a swing (mind you... no contact... JUST THE SWING). The next pitch is a cock shot right down the pipe that he balls. DHC wants to know where that missed. Umpire's response, "not sure... I was busy looking at his feet."

The complaining stopped after that.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Agree with Richvee. If you're tracking the ball properly and watching the hit off the bat, you're never going to see where the batter's foot lands. Nor should you. Like Rich said, that rule is there for the obvious. Remember, the rule states that the batter must contact the ball with the foot entirely on the ground outside the box. Usually it's not as the coach thinks it is. Don't concern yourself too much where the foot lands. Track the ball to the glove and follow the ball off the bat. That burner right down the 3BL, you're going to want to see that! Not where his foot landed.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kevin_K said:

Did he just call us old?

Nah, well yeah, maybe, if you are old. But really just meant cagey veterans who been in the game and have seen a few things. Experienced more than decrepit.