Michigan vs. Illinois - 5/13/18

wingman3110
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2145 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Can't find any video of this...but hoping someone caught it or can clear this up.

Situation: extra innings (can't remember the inning), bases loaded, 2 outs, 3-2 count

Play: Inside breaking curveball. The batter leans into the pitch and permits the ball to hit him. It appears to be the correct call. The home plate umpire calls time and points for the batter to stay at the plate.

Here's where it gets interesting.....he brings him back, okay, that is right. But the count stays at 3-2. They essentially play it again, a do-over. The announcers, clueless of course, mention that the umpire has the authority to render a "do-over" pitch.

What happened? And did a Big 10 crew screw this play up?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing in the PBP fits 2 outs, bases loaded, 3-2 count in extra innings:

Vancena to p for Tribucher. 4 4
Taylor singled through the left side (3-2 KBBKB). 4 4
Troike out at first p to 2b, SAC, bunt (0-0); Taylor advanced to second. 4 4
Spillane intentionally walked (3-0 BBBB). 4 4
Massey singled to center field (1-0 B); Spillane advanced to second; Taylor advanced to third, out at home cf to ss to c. 4 4
Dodge pinch hit for Engel. 4 4
Dodge singled to shortstop (0-2 KK); Massey advanced to second; Spillane advanced to third. 4 4
Haff pinch ran for Dodge. 4 4
Turchin flied out to cf (0-1 S). 4 4
Michigan - Bottom of 10th
Play Description ILL MIC
Clementi walked (3-1 KBBBB). 4 4
Engelmann struck out looking (3-2 BBKBFK). 4 4
Franklin popped up to ss (1-2 FKFB). 4 4
Nwogu singled to left field; Clementi advanced to second. 4 4
Pace struck out swinging (0-2 FSS). 4 4
Illinois - Top of 11th
Play Description ILL MIC
Yalowitz grounded out to 2b (0-0). 4 4
Van Scoy flied out to lf (2-2 BKSFB). 4 4
Craan hit by pitch (0-1 K). 4 4
Taylor singled to left field (1-0 B); Craan advanced to second. 4 4
Troike struck out swinging (3-2 BFSBFFBFFS). 4 4
Michigan - Bottom of 11th
Play Description ILL MIC
Schmitt to p for Gerber. 4 4
Kerr singled to right field (1-2 BKFFF). 4 4
Salter reached on a fielder's choice to catcher, bunt; Kerr advanced to second on a throwing error by c. 4 4
Blomgren reached on a fielder's choice to third base, SAC, bunt (1-0 B); Salter advanced to second; Kerr advanced to third. 4 4
Thomas flied out to lf (2-2 KBKBFF). 4 4
Clementi flied out to rf, SF, RBI (2-2 KBBF); Kerr scored, unearned. 4 5

1 hour ago, BT_Blue said:

I wonder if the scoreboard/tv graphic had it wrong and it was 2-2 and not 3-2. Guess the only way to know for sure would be to watch the whole AB over again.

I thought this too, but I remember the announcers saying that it was a 3-2 pitch and it was an important pitch.

24 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

Nothing in the PBP fits 2 outs, bases loaded, 3-2 count in extra innings:

Vancena to p for Tribucher. 4 4
Taylor singled through the left side (3-2 KBBKB). 4 4
Troike out at first p to 2b, SAC, bunt (0-0); Taylor advanced to second. 4 4
Spillane intentionally walked (3-0 BBBB). 4 4
Massey singled to center field (1-0 B); Spillane advanced to second; Taylor advanced to third, out at home cf to ss to c. 4 4
Dodge pinch hit for Engel. 4 4
Dodge singled to shortstop (0-2 KK); Massey advanced to second; Spillane advanced to third. 4 4
Haff pinch ran for Dodge. 4 4
Turchin flied out to cf (0-1 S). 4 4
Michigan - Bottom of 10th
Play Description ILL MIC
Clementi walked (3-1 KBBBB). 4 4
Engelmann struck out looking (3-2 BBKBFK). 4 4
Franklin popped up to ss (1-2 FKFB). 4 4
Nwogu singled to left field; Clementi advanced to second. 4 4
Pace struck out swinging (0-2 FSS). 4 4
Illinois - Top of 11th
Play Description ILL MIC
Yalowitz grounded out to 2b (0-0). 4 4
Van Scoy flied out to lf (2-2 BKSFB). 4 4
Craan hit by pitch (0-1 K). 4 4
Taylor singled to left field (1-0 B); Craan advanced to second. 4 4
Troike struck out swinging (3-2 BFSBFFBFFS). 4 4
Michigan - Bottom of 11th
Play Description ILL MIC
Schmitt to p for Gerber. 4 4
Kerr singled to right field (1-2 BKFFF). 4 4
Salter reached on a fielder's choice to catcher, bunt; Kerr advanced to second on a throwing error by c. 4 4
Blomgren reached on a fielder's choice to third base, SAC, bunt (1-0 B); Salter advanced to second; Kerr advanced to third. 4 4
Thomas flied out to lf (2-2 KBKBFF). 4 4
Clementi flied out to rf, SF, RBI (2-2 KBBF); Kerr scored, unearned. 4 5

I know Vancena was pitching during this.

Top of the 11th with Troike at bat. I thought the bases were loaded, but the graphic on tv could have been wrong. It was on BTN. 

This happened. 3-2 pitch, hit the guy. Kept him there. I was shocked. Neither manager said anything.

1 hour ago, noumpere said:

Maybe, too, the ball hit the bat (and not the batter) and went foul.  Do you (the OP) remember which team / what the batter did next?  You can get the PBP on line -- that might help

This may be the only plausible explanation. But it was pretty clear (with replay) it hit the batters protective elbow guard.

26 minutes ago, wingman3110 said:

This may be the only plausible explanation. But it was pretty clear (with replay) it hit the batters protective elbow guard.

It was a ball three "stay here".  Stadium scoreboard was off and it got corrected but then radio announcers mention BTN now has it wrong. Start about 3:15 and it becomes clear:

2 hours ago, Jimurray said:

It was a ball three "stay here".  Stadium scoreboard was off and it got corrected but then radio announcers mention BTN now has it wrong. Start about 3:15 and it becomes clear:

Thanks Jim - I was so confused watching this live and didn't have the luxury of rewinding it. I was sitting next to a friend and we both looked at each other with that "what the hell just happened" look. Makes sense now that the scoreboard was wrong. I couldn't believe that neither side disputed it or the entire crew missed it.