Bunt Foul Tip Caught-FED Softball

CATMAN
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2157 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

What is the ruling in FED FP Softball for a "Bunt Foul Tip" caught by catcher with a count of 0-0....OUT?

The only thing I found was NFHS 7-2 | Sect 25 | Art.3, making a bunt either foul or fair, is this correct interpretation?

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

This is not Fed FP but I believe the rule is the same where I am. (Canada)

A foul Tip is a batted ball that goes directly from the bat to the catcher's glove or hand and does not go higher than the batter's head; and is legally caught by the catcher.

It is a strike and the ball is in play

It is not a catch if it is a rebound, unless the ball first touched the catcher's hands or glove

if the ball is not legally caught it is foul ball.

12 minutes ago, CATMAN said:

What is the ruling in FED FP Softball for a "Bunt Foul Tip" caught by catcher with a count of 0-0....OUT?

The only thing I found was NFHS 7-2 | Sect 25 | Art.3, making a bunt either foul or fair, is this correct interpretation?

To my knowledge there is no code in softball, or baseball for that matter, that differentiates a foul tip whether it is bunted or not.

In softball rules the definitions are almost verbatim to baseball definitions.

A bunt is a batted ball not swung at.

A foul tip is a batted ball that goes directly to the catcher's hands caught by the catcher (and in some SB codes, not over the batter's head).

So, a bunt batted ball can still be a foul tip.