Jglopez7

Runners Lane Interference feedback

Looks like you made the correct call. Good job staying with the play and the throw!

• Thanks 1

Correct call.

You're positioned at 1BLX, which gives you an angle for judging the BR's position going down the lane. The only change I'd recommend is to bust up the line yourself a bit to get closer to this call. Being closer will give you a better look at any additional action on this type of play (which didn't happen here, but often does on this kind of play).

The only reason to remain at the plate would be having a possible scoring play, which isn't the case here. So we basically treat it as a batted ball in the infield.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2018 at 9:31 AM, maven said:

Correct call.

You're positioned at 1BLX, which gives you an angle for judging the BR's position going down the lane. The only change I'd recommend is to bust up the line yourself a bit to get closer to this call. Being closer will give you a better look at any additional action on this type of play (which didn't happen here, but often does on this kind of play).

The only reason to remain at the plate would be having a possible scoring play, which isn't the case here. So we basically treat it as a batted ball in the infield.

I think his decision was predicated on where F2 had to go to get the ball, and potential concern for getting in his way of the throw?  Just my .02

GOOD / CORRECT call, and nice short explanation to the coach

46 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

I think his decision was predicated on where F2 had to go to get the ball, and potential concern for getting in his way of the throw?  Just my .02

GOOD / CORRECT call, and nice short explanation to the coach

Correct the blocked ball ended up inside. I came up slightly and straddled the foul line. Once I saw the runner change his path and get hit I made the call. While making my call I walked closer to the play, makes it look like I was closer than I actually was.  @Thunderheads coach said "im just gonna stand here because that's a good call unfortunately" we acted like we had a conversation then parted ways.

• Like 2

Although you made the absolute right call, I am more impressed that the announcer actually knew what the call was and got it right! Put that guy on ESPN!

• Like 1

The "safe" signal was clear. Have you or your chapter considered the right hand point instead? I also heard some confusing info that TASO wanted an open hand out to the side. I think that was mistakenly taken from what the BU might signal to help.

Right hand would be a strike. We adopted it as a chapter the safe signal. If we are unsure, a quick glance at our BU, who may have a better view would provide an open hand (uncaught) closed fist (caught). This mechanic is easier since we do adopt it on regular catch or no catch calls on the field.  On close calls to avoid confusion, I do verbalize no catch or catch. This was pretty obvious due to F2 blocking the ball, a safe signal (no verbal) was enough I believe.  

1 hour ago, Jglopez7 said:

Right hand would be a strike. We adopted it as a chapter the safe signal. If we are unsure, a quick glance at our BU, who may have a better view would provide an open hand (uncaught) closed fist (caught). This mechanic is easier since we do adopt it on regular catch or no catch calls on the field.  On close calls to avoid confusion, I do verbalize no catch or catch. This was pretty obvious due to F2 blocking the ball, a safe signal (no verbal) was enough I believe.  

MLB/MiLB adopted the right arm point after the Eddings call: https://www.mlb.com/video/lester-makes-the-save/c-31874849

I have no problem with a safe signal. It's only point of confusion would be with an immediate tag by the catcher.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By agdz59
      Working a 10u tournament this weekend. I'm on the bases in C with R2.  
      The pitcher sets, then raises his leg and pitches with his knee going past his pivot leg before committing to home.
      I called nothing but between innings the offensive coach asked about it because his runner started back to second. 
      What say you?
    • By GreyhoundAggie
      Wanted confirmation of a ruling we made from a Varsity Fed game from Monday.
      Bases loaded, outs don't matter.
      Chopper to 1st base, he comes home with the throw to try and get the force, but the ball isn't it time and hits either the catcher or batter (unsure) and deflects into the dugout.
      2 base award from TOP? This is what we ended up doing. I was thinking this is correct since the deflection was not intentional or a secondary action.

• By Jglopez7
      Seeking info and feedback regarding the few questions I got wrong. Read below.
      1. A force is reinstated when a runner retreats past the base to which he was forced to advance. T or F I marked False due to a runner who passes a base needing to be tagged upon returning. Unless I am misinterpreting the question. Correct answer is TRUE
      2. No outs, R3 on third and R1 on first. R1 attempts to steal second. B4 interferes with F2, but F2's throw gets R1 out. During the play at second, R3 scores. B4's interference is ignored and R3 scores. T or F. I put false due to the interference from my understanding runners return back their base start of pitch. Correct answer is TRUE. What if R1 gets caught in a rundown because hes thrown out by a mile? Kill it if first attempt is not successful?
      3. A coach physically assisting a runner during playing action is interference. T or F. I put TRUE and apparently its false.

Any feedback is welcome.

• By refump10
      I was reading the other thread about the RLI called in a Little League game.  The discussion went briefly to the HS interpretation of the ruling.  I thought I would move over to the High School section to continue that part of the discussion to avoid high jacking the other thread. There was a quotation in one of the posts that quoted and interp from 2004:
      SITUATION 19: B1 bunts and F2 fields the ball in fair territory in front of home plate. B1 is running in foul territory when F2, in fair territory, throws errantly and hits B1 in the back. B1 continues running and touches first base. RULING: The play stands. F2 made an errant throw. Although B1 was not in the running lane, his position did not interfere with F2’s throw. (8-4-1g Exception)"
      My confusion over this interpretation is that I thought in FED that quality of throw is not a factor when determining RLI.  I also note that in the 2017 Rule Book, there is no exception listed to 8-4-1g.  I think this ruling should correct, but I'm having a hard time seeing how this ruling conforms with the rule as written.
      Thoughts?
    • By Kevin_K
      Today the State of NJ released its annual refresher test for all NJSIAA certified umpires in baseball and softball. 
      On first glance I find this question:
      A pitcher is wearing a compression sleeve that is a camouflage pattern matching the school's colors. It extends below the elbow on his throwing arm. The umpire should:
      Allow it since the colors match the school's colors.
      Have the pitcher remove it since he may not wear white or gray on his throwing arm.
      I have never claimed to have a backward and forward understanding of the rule book, but even I know that neither answer is correct. How does this kind of nonsense happen every single year? At what point will there be a test that is correct? And that doesn't try to trick anyone? 
      In the inimitable words of one C. Brown....."AAAUUUGGGHHHH!!!"