triple play???

fishnfed
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2170 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Fed rules, R1, R2, no outs.

A sharp hit, short hop to F5.  F5 catches the ball off the dirt, touches 3rd and throws to F3 for a double play.  R1, thinking that F5 caught a low line drive in the air, dives back to 1st.  F3 throws to F6 who is standing on 2nd base. I have a double play and R1 remains on 1st.

What says the knowledge base?  

Thanks

9 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, fishnfed said:

A sharp hit, short hop to F5.  F5 catches the ball off the dirt, touches 3rd and throws to F3 for a double play.  R1, thinking that F5 caught a low line drive in the air, dives back to 1st.  F3 throws to F6 who is standing on 2nd base. I have a double play and R1 remains on 1st.

Thanks

Sounds like two outs to me. How would R1 be out? 

3 hours ago, fishnfed said:

Thanks

Did this occur in a game you were in or witnessed? I'd be interested in hearing a rationale for why someone would think R1 would be out.

I think I see where he is going.  R1 was off when the line drive was caught (off of the dirt), and was returning to tag up as F3 had the ball.  Our initial assumption is that the ball thrown to F3 was to retire the BR, BUT...................could it also have been missed as an intended appeal (of R1 not tagging up)............

6 hours ago, ElkOil said:

Did this occur in a game you were in or witnessed? I'd be interested in hearing a rationale for why someone would think R1 would be out.

My buddy was in the game and told me about it.  The defensive coach opined that R1 HAD to advance.  We both disagreed with this thought.

Thanks for the replies.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, fishnfed said:

My buddy was in the game and told me about it.  The defensive coach opined that R1 HAD to advance.  We both disagreed with this thought.

Thanks for the replies.

Once BR is retired by the throw to 1B, R1 is fee to return. 

37 minutes ago, fishnfed said:

Thanks for the replies.

If we ignore the out on R2, then this just becomes a "F5 throws to F3 to retire the BR -- can R1 return?" question that is easily answered by all umpires / players / coaches.

For some reason, adding the "extra" out on R2 gets everyone (well, some) confused and they think the rules are somehow different.  If we just simplify it, it's easy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

I think I see where he is going.  R1 was off when the line drive was caught (off of the dirt), and was returning to tag up as F3 had the ball.  Our initial assumption is that the ball thrown to F3 was to retire the BR, BUT...................could it also have been missed as an intended appeal (of R1 not tagging up)............

There is no tag-up to appeal.

• Like 1

ok..............I was reading "ball off of the dirt" as "line drive that didn't hit the ground", not that bounced off of the dirt.  With the line drive and R1 moving, returning to 1st is what I was seeing.  Either I was sleepy as hell when I read that this morning, or it was edited.  I'm gonna go with sleepy as the AC in my hotel room had the temp up to 80 degrees  just after midnight.  Good call @Rich Ives.......wow, that hurt.