1st game in 26 years.

wwsodeputy
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1832 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

After taking 26 years off I worked my first high school JV games again this last week. Seasoned veteran didn't show for the first game(bb) so we had a nice scrimmage where the home team "won" by scoring 8 runs in the bottom of the 7th. 2nd game was softball where the visiting team scored 25 runs in the top of the 2nd...ahh the joys of working JV games to prove myself worthy of varsity contests... on the upside the sleet has stopped for the moment in my little part of SE Wisconsin for now... hopefully my 4 games this week don't get canceled!!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Had a game this week final was 30-3...had a perfect game going until the bottom of the 5th.  Kudos to the visiting coach who only allowed his kids to take one base at a time. He could've easily run the score up. I got back into officiating to work some basketball games this fall and got talked into working baseball games again because a friend that assigns needed some help. I am so GLAD that I took that call. I have been missing out on all this fun for way too long!  I'm regretting giving it up 26 years ago!!

• 3 weeks later...

One of my assignors got desperate and I have my 1st Varsirty game tonight in as many years as I was away. 2 teams playing for 6th place before the playoffs start. I'll be on the bases and I am SO thankful for the chance to prove myself worthy of the assignment. Now if I can only remember where positions G, J, and K are....

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ilyazhito said:

G, J, and K? I only know about A, B, C, and D positions. Anyway, good luck with your season. 

G is BU between inning position in RF. J and K are PU positions during F1 warmups. I’m surprised you don’t know this. I won’t include an emoticon as @wwsodeputy did not either and he and I might be guilty of my wife’s observation of dry humor going unrecognized. 

Well, in that case H would be U3's between inning rest position, and I would be U2's rest position (generalizing for more than 2 umpires). Would deep B and deep C then be L and M, with outside C being referred to as the N position:wacko:

Obviously, D, H, L, and M exist only in 3-man mechanics, and I and N only in 4 man mechanics. If @wwsodeputy would work the playoffs, then it might be useful for him to know that, as most states use 3 or 4 man mechanics at some point in the playoffs.

• 10 months later...