Left handed pick off (with video)

tankmjg24
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2189 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

1 hour ago, grayhawk said:

Gotta step ahead of the throw.  

Does FED specify this?  6-2-4b (I think) says step and throw.  Are we to interpret that a step has to be made ahead of the throw?   OBR  is defined as states above. 

As far as the OP, I have a balk based on failing to deliver a pitch in one continuous motion and without interruption. 6-2-4d

2 hours ago, Tborze said:

Does FED specify this?  6-2-4b (I think) says step and throw.  Are we to interpret that a step has to be made ahead of the throw?

The rule is the same in all codes, and yes, "step and throw" means step and then throw. It's not a step until the foot lands.

Ordinarily, if it's bang-bang we will not be too technical about this. The idea also applies with F1 disengaging: technically, he's not disengaged until the foot lands. But we're not too technical when the pivot moves back and the arm feints at around the same time.

The move in the video confers a HUGE advantage on F1, and needs to be called every time at any level with balks.

I agree that it is ugly, and while ugly does not always equate to balk, it sure does in this situation.  I had pretty much everything that you all said.  I wanted to confirm that my thought process was correct, and it was :nod:.  The field umpire is a first year guy, and this was literally his first game ever.  Weather has not been too good to us, and all of our on field scrimmages and training got snowed out (yes snow).  All of the training prior to this game was pretty much done in a classroom and indoor facility.  He has a very good athletic background and officiates other sports, so hopefully with time he catches on to baseball.