NFHS Part 2 Exam

tankmjg24
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2178 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Currently taking Part 2 Test and have ran into a few questions (surprisingly both involving obstruction) that I am not certain what they are looking for.

Which of the following statements on obstruction is correct:

• a. The ball is delayed dead.

• b. Obstruction is declared when a fielder without the ball simulates a tag on a runner.
  • c. Obstruction occurs when a fielder with possession of the ball denies access to the base the runner is attempting to achieve.
  • d. All the above.

So A is right as we wait for playing action to end resulting in a delayed dead ball the majority of the time.  B is true for sure.  C is incorrect as the fielder has possession of the ball.  Based off of this, I have both A and B as correct answers, so which answer choice are they looking for? 

If the penalty for catcher's obstruction on a batter is enforced:

• a. The batter shall be awarded first base.
  • b. Runners attempting to advance shall be awarded the base attempted.
  • c. Runners not attempting to advance will be returned to the base occupied at the time of pitch, unless forced to advance because of the batter's award of first base.
  • d. All of the above.

A is correct, B is incorrect, and C is correct.  I feel like they are looking for the answer here to be C.    

4 hours ago, tankmjg24 said:
Which of the following statements on obstruction is correct:

• a. The ball is delayed dead.

• b. Obstruction is declared when a fielder without the ball simulates a tag on a runner.
  • c. Obstruction occurs when a fielder with possession of the ball denies access to the base the runner is attempting to achieve.
  • d. All the above.

So A is right as we wait for playing action to end resulting in a delayed dead ball the majority of the time.  B is true for sure.  C is incorrect as the fielder has possession of the ball.  Based off of this, I have both A and B as correct answers, so which answer choice are they looking for? 

If

Option (c) has a typo: it should be "without." That makes (d) correct. Good catch!

4 hours ago, tankmjg24 said:

If the penalty for catcher's obstruction on a batter is enforced:

• a. The batter shall be awarded first base.
  • b. Runners attempting to advance shall be awarded the base attempted.
  • c. Runners not attempting to advance will be returned to the base occupied at the time of pitch, unless forced to advance because of the batter's award of first base.
  • d. All of the above.

A is correct, B is incorrect, and C is correct.  I feel like they are looking for the answer here to be C.

Why do you think (b) is incorrect? Can you cite the rule/penalty?

FED rule 8-1-1e

1. Any runner attempting to advance (i.e., steal or squeeze) on a catcher’s obstruction of the batter shall be awarded the base he is attempting. If a runner is not attempting to advance on the catcher’s obstruction, he shall not be entitled to the next base, if not forced to advance because of the batter being awarded first base. If obstruction is enforced, all other runners on the play will return to base occupied at time of the pitch. The batter is awarded first base, if he did not reach base.

11 hours ago, tankmjg24 said:

So I believe what I did was overthink the situation.  When I first read B I took it as the runner advancing on the play, but see now that it is more of the situation where the runner is already advancing.  

You're right. 'b' is poorly worded IMO.

'b' Runners attempting to advance ON THE PITCH shall be awarded the base attempted.

....would have been better and less confusing 

10 hours ago, Richvee said:

You're right. 'b' is poorly worded IMO.

'b' Runners attempting to advance ON THE PITCH shall be awarded the base attempted.

....would have been better and less confusing 

As Mr Blue posted, the rule has examples (steal or squeeze) to specify the kind of advance.

I recognized the phrase "attempting to advance" from the rule book penalty, so I grokked that they intended that to be correct. I can see how it could be confusing.

4 hours ago, maven said:

As Mr Blue posted, the rule has examples (steal or squeeze) to specify the kind of advance.

I recognized the phrase "attempting to advance" from the rule book penalty, so I grokked that they intended that to be correct. I can see how it could be confusing.

The learning never ends, folks.

grok
ɡräk/
verb
USinformal
past tense: grokked; past participle: grokked
  1. understand (something) intuitively or by empathy.
    "because of all the commercials, children grok things immediately"
    • empathize or communicate sympathetically; establish a rapport.
  • Like 1

Obviously you never read Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein released in the early 1960s. It was Heinlein who coined the word grok which was a Martian word in the story that had a somewhat different meaning than what is shown in our Terran dictionary now. I believe the book was the first science fiction story to make it to the NY Times best seller list.

• 2 weeks later...

The pitcher takes his position on the pitching plate in an illegal "hybrid" position.

Answers basically are:

a) he is allowed to step off and change to a legal pitching position

b) he is not allowed to step off and change to a legal pitching position

Just not exactly finding a rule to back this up.

51 minutes ago, zoops said:

The pitcher takes his position on the pitching plate in an illegal "hybrid" position.

Answers basically are:

a) he is allowed to step off and change to a legal pitching position

b) he is not allowed to step off and change to a legal pitching position

Just not exactly finding a rule to back this up.

It's an illegal pitch (or balk) once he starts his motion. So, just standing on the rubber in a hybrid stance in and of itself is not a violation. Once he starts his motion to pitch,or steps to a base...That would be illegal.

2014 interps

SITUATION 7: The pitcher places his non-pivot foot on top of the pitching plate at a 45-degree angle with one-third of his pivot foot in front of the front edge of the pitching plate and the heel of his pivot foot behind the back edge of the pitching plate. His non-pivot foot is entirely in front of the front edge of the pitching plate. Without making any other movement, the pitcher places his pivot foot entirely behind the pitching plate. RULING: The pitcher initially assumed an illegal pitching position. Since he made no other movement, he is allowed to step back off of the pitching plate with his pivot foot and correct his illegal position. (6-1-2, 3)

I'd refer to 6-1-2:

the pitcher may only deliver a pitch or step backward off the pitcher’s plate with his pivot foot first. After the pitcher has placed his pivot foot clearly behind the plate, he has the right to change to the set position

and 6-1-3:

In order to change to the wind-up position, he must first step clearly backward off the pitcher’s plate with his pivot foot first.

Seems the best answer here is C but I think they want D?

1. The penalty for the use of an illegal bat that is discovered before the next pitch is:
    •  A) The batter is out.
    •  B) Other runners return to the base occupied at the time of the pitch.
    •  C) The defense has the option of taking the penalty or the result of the play.
    •  D) All of the above

NFHS rule 7-4-1 A batter is also out as in above penalty or when:

a. the batter enters the batter’s box with an illegal bat (see 1-3-5) or is discovered having used an illegal bat. If the infraction is discovered before the next pitch following the turn at bat of the player who used an illegal bat, the defense may take the penalty or the result of the play;

Another poorly worded question. They took 1/2 the sentence from the rule. Left out "following the turn at bat of the player who used an illegal bat".

Making it unclear if the batter with the illegal bat is still at bat, or not. Shocking.:banghead: