Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dawgs0725

Walkoff HBP

Question

Guest Dawgs0725

Scenario: Bottom 7 tied game. Bases loaded. Batter is HBP. Batter takes one step towards 1st then turns and runs to 3rd to celebrate with the team. Does every runner have to touch the next base for the game to be officially over?

8 answers to this question

Well, it's going to depend on how many outs at the start of the play, and the rules code.

FED:  All runners must touch, or are subject to appeal.

OBR:  Only BR and R3 must advance -- but the umpire is supposed to direct the runner to do so, and if he doesn't call him out.

If Any of the above result in the third out, the run does NOT score.

Here's the OBR rule -- it says what I summarized above (I apologize for the c-n-p formatting.  Google "official baseball rules" -- this is from page 37 of the 2017 version):

( b) When the winning run is scored in the last half-inning of a reg-
ulation game, or in the last half of an extra inning, as the result
of a base on balls, hit batter or any other play with the bases
full which forces the batter and all other runners to advance
without liability of being put out, the umpire shall not declare
the game ended until the runner forced to advance from third
has touched home base and the batter-runner has touched first
base.
Rule 5.08 (b) Comment (Rule 4.09 (b) Comment )
: An excep-
tion will be if fans rush onto the field and physically prevent
the runner from touching home plate or the batter from touch-
ing first base. In such cases, the umpires shall award the runner
the base because of the obstruction by the fans.
Rule 5.08(b)
PENALTY
: If the runner on third refuses to advance to
and touch home base in a reasonable time, the umpire
shall disallow the run, call out the offending player and
order the game resumed. If, with two out, the batter-run-
ner refuses to advance to and touch first base, the
umpire shall disallow the run, call out the offending
player, and order the game resumed. If, before two are
out, the batter-runner refuses to advance to and touch
first base, the run shall count, but the offending player
shall be called ou

As this seems to be a 7-inning game, there's a good chance that FED rules apply.

The FED rule is slightly different (all runners must touch their advance base).

9-1-1 NOTE 2

When the winning run is scored in the last half inning of a regulation game, or in the last half of an extra inning, as the result of a base on balls, hit batter or any other play with the bases loaded which forces the runner on third base to advance, the umpire shall not declare the game over until all runners have advanced to the next base.

For the OP, when the BR fails to advance, this rule requires that the umpire not declare the game over after R3 scores. The reason is that the defense has the right to appeal the BR's failure to touch 1B.

8-2-6j

End of Game. If any situation arises which could lead to an appeal by the defense on the last play of the game, the appeal must be made while an umpire is still on the field of play.

And, though I'm not finding the rule at the moment, the window of opportunity for the defense to appeal will close when the infielders have all left fair territory. As an umpire, I'd stick around till then, and at that point depart with all due celerity.

We had this discussion at our local HS  association meeting recently.  If it's the end of any 1/2 inning except the end-of-game situation the appeal must be made before the pitcher & ALL infielders have left fair territory (NFHS 8-2-Penalty, Pg48.)  So, If the 1st baseman has already made it to the dugout, no appeal allowed.

If It's an End of Game (NFHS 8-2-6j, Pg49) the appeal must be made while an umpire is still on the field of play. 

Additionally the NFHS Case Book gives us (8.2.2 Sit.J, pg. 70) an example of an umpire who has stopped for a drink of water at the dugout and appeal is made on winning run missing 3rd base, so as  @maven said, "depart with due celerity".  In that scenario you can imagine the teams are already lining up to shake hands.

51 minutes ago, maven said:

As this seems to be a 7-inning game, there's a good chance that FED rules apply.

The FED rule is slightly different (all runners must touch their advance base).

For the OP, when the BR fails to advance, this rule requires that the umpire not declare the game over after R3 scores. The reason is that the defense has the right to appeal the BR's failure to touch 1B.

And, though I'm not finding the rule at the moment, the window of opportunity for the defense to appeal will close when the infielders have all left fair territory. As an umpire, I'd stick around till then, and at that point depart with all due celerity.

I have never, and never will, bring celery onto a field

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Old Skool said:

If it's the end of any 1/2 inning except the end-of-game situation the appeal must be made before the pitcher & ALL infielders have left fair territory (NFHS 8-2-Penalty, Pg48.) 

That's it.

1 hour ago, Old Skool said:

If It's an End of Game (NFHS 8-2-6j, Pg49) the appeal must be made while an umpire is still on the field of play. 

Correct, and 9-1-1 NOTE 2 requires afford the defense an opportunity to appeal. Together, these provisions entail not leaving the field until the defense has a chance to appeal.

I'd treat the window for that opportunity as the same as any other half inning.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this