Adams XV-HDX received today thru hibbetts

The1yankee
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2005 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

27 minutes ago, Jbpump15 said:

But still, no pictures of anyone wearing it...

This thread title is horribly misleading. 

8 hours ago, 42outs said:

I tried the CP on today after tying off the straps to keep them in place and I'm concerned about collar bone protection while in my stance. Any suggestions? I will try to post a picture tonight.

This post caught my attention. I wear mine really tight and even had to tighten it once after getting down to college. But sometimes, late in games when I'm tired, I'll adopt an initial hands on knees position instead of standing and sometimes I feel like I've exposed my collar bone when I'm leaning way forward. I don't usually receive a pitch this way but it gets my attention when I feel that little gap. I've never legitimately feared for my collar bone with this CP though, just when I'm in this weird stance. 

7 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

This thread title is horribly misleading. 

This post caught my attention. I wear mine really tight and even had to tighten it once after getting down to college. But sometimes, late in games when I'm tired, I'll adopt an initial hands on knees position instead of standing and sometimes I feel like I've exposed my collar bone when I'm leaning way forward. I don't usually receive a pitch this way but it gets my attention when I feel that little gap. I've never legitimately feared for my collar bone with this CP though, just when I'm in this weird stance. 

Right, that's my concern. I don't do HOK but I do lean forward a little as going straight down hurts my knees. I think by moving the shell up on the padding will help mitigate those issues but until I play around with it a little, I'm still not 100% sold. I want to be though. The thing felt like a piece of cardboard compared to my old CP.

28 minutes ago, 42outs said:

I've got the pads and harness adjusted to where my collar bones are protected but now I feel exposed in my lower ribs.

IMG_20180720_203557284.jpg

IMG_20180720_203612315.jpg

Get in your stance, the slight lean should help you last few ribs that are exposed. If not, I’ll take it off your hands and work you a deal on a 15” Douglas with t-hooks and gap protection.

4 hours ago, 42outs said:

I've got the pads and harness adjusted to where my collar bones are protected but now I feel exposed in my lower ribs.

That seems high to me. I'd drop the chest plate to where it was. Then look at it while you're wearing your mask. You could try softening up the plastic and bending the inside front corner of the shoulder down slightly. 

@42outs, I’m with @Mister B on this one... you have the carapace up too high relative to the padding vest. The billow should be more exposed, and at your Adam’s apple. Granted, it’s brand new, but the shoulder arch plates are a bit stiff and flat... they need to be shaped and curved.

It’s impressively light, isn’t it?

We’ve been on the road a lot these past few weeks, but I’ll get a chance to take and post some photos of me wearing my own XV to show where and how it best sits.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MadMax said:

@42outs, I’m with @Mister B on this one... you have the carapace up too high relative to the padding vest. The billow should be more exposed, and at your Adam’s apple. Granted, it’s brand new, but the shoulder arch plates are a bit stiff and flat... they need to be shaped and curved.

It’s impressively light, isn’t it?

We’ve been on the road a lot these past few weeks, but I’ll get a chance to take and post some photos of me wearing my own XV to show where and how it best sits.

I fixed it and it covers my ribs better now. I just need to look at while I'm wearing my mask. That might have been the issue - it seems so obvious but didn't really occur to me lol. Yes, it is unbelievably light. Like, scary light. Like, it almost doesn't seem adequate light. But I just have to trust it.

I'd appreciate if you could do that. I think it would help myself and others with fitment.

• Like 1

After finally getting the CP to fit right, I took a shot to the collar bone today. Only about 85 but fouled straight back (accelerating the ball) and made a loud crack that made the crowd and coaches show concern. I stepped out to the side immediately and tossed another ball back to the pitcher while telling the catcher I don't pay for good equipment for nothing. I didn't even feel it. This thing was significantly cooler than my old CP and as others have stated before, every breeze was like AC. Wow, just wow. It hardly even felt like I was wearing a CP today. I am very impressed so far. I will report back after I take some 90+ shots hopefully this week (sounds so weird to say.)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 42outs said:

... and made a loud crack that made the crowd and coaches show concern.

Yeah, the thing is loud, isn’t it? Surely, everyone knows you got hit, as that clacking sound is inimitable by anything else. You’ll never hear, “Are you okay, Catch? Where’d that get you?” inquired from the sidelines again!

Now, on this point, this is where the Force3 Ultimate has a leg up on the XV, P2xx and other carapace-based CP’s. With its neoprene outer skin, there is much less noise and deflection. Also, the XV is a tad bit broad, but it’s not bad. The Champro segmented CP’s and the Force3 can all get more conforming, especially around the torso.

I just got hit with a straight fastball, center chest, a few days ago. Circa 90 mph, and the catcher and pitcher got crossed up, with the pitch coming at (or optically from behind) the batter’s hands. Batter moved his hands at the last moment, while the catcher didn’t get his mitt high enough, and it hit me dead center. Didn’t phase me at all.

1 hour ago, 42outs said:

This thing was significantly cooler than my old CP and as others have stated before, every breeze was like AC.

When one understands that the padding in this thing is used in current football helmets, where heat dissipation is a vital function, and that the holes in both the carapace plates and the padding itself promotes airflow and doesn’t retain moisture, you are left with one convicting question:

Why are they (the other manufacturers) still using sofa cushion foam?!

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings all,

I recently purchased the XV-HDX through Hibbets and it too was missing the triloc's on the bottom straps.  I emailed both Hibbets and Schutt.  Hibbets wanted me to send it back and Schutt was wonderful to work with!  I explained the posts on this forum in my email and that it seemed like a lot of people were missing them.  Lindsey at Schutt couldn't have been more helpful and is Fedexing some to me today. 

Gotta love it when a company has great customer service and stands behind their product!!  Now if I could only get MadMax to post that picture of him wearing the cp....

Scott 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wwsodeputy said:

Greetings all,

I recently purchased the XV-HDX through Hibbets and it too was missing the triloc's on the bottom straps.  I emailed both Hibbets and Schutt.  Hibbets wanted me to send it back and Schutt was wonderful to work with!  I explained the posts on this forum in my email and that it seemed like a lot of people were missing them.  Lindsey at Schutt couldn't have been more helpful and is Fedexing some to me today. 

Gotta love it when a company has great customer service and stands behind their product!!  Now if I could only get MadMax to post that picture of him wearing the cp....

Scott 

I'll second that Lindsey is great to work with.  Separate issue for me, but she is a class act and handles everything professionally.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2018 at 7:31 PM, Concrete Panda said:

@MadMax, I just got a XV and nowhere on the unit could I find any sort of tag showing the padding is D3O.  I suspect, it's just a generic EVA foam.  Regarding the  LP, see attached photos.  It seems to be it would be more of a softball oriented CP, possibly lower lever baseball.  The padding isn't very thick or dense.  The plastic is not very thick either.  For the same price as a XV, it does not seem to be a good value.

front.jpg

back.jpg

shoulder.jpg

Just as an FYI for anyone looking to do lower level baseball and youth softball...the above CP can be had for less than $42 plus shipping from Epic sports.

https://baseball.epicsports.com/prod/118285/adams-umpire-chest-protector-low-profile.html

I'm adding my two cents in. I have an XV with the T-hooks and modified with a Delta Flex harness that I love, and this season I was able to trade my old WV Platinum CP (and threw in a Honigs frame) for the new Adams XV with the Adams 4 point harness.
I am admittably larger than most at 6 ft 3 and weight in the 230s, so I keep the ab extension on the CP, but lose the biceps extension.
It's been very humid and warm here in NY this summer, so if didn't start sweating when warming up and stretching pregame, I definitely will be sweating from my first move up the first base line following a runner being put out.
I find the Adams harness very adequate at my size. Now, I tape every strap off once I have it fitted right, and I shaped the shoulder areas with heat just as I did on my XV CP, but it is very adequate with that stock harness.
Mid to upper 80s shots, no problems. Collar bone area, no problems.
That extra side piece is perfect for my size, since my chest is kind of broad.
And I wear a whole size smaller uni shirt than I did with the Platinum, which helps with my presentation behind the plate making me look more athletic in my moves, and not like a tank from WWI.
While protection and price point were why I originally went XV, one of my favorite features is the fact that I can remove the padding and throw them in the wash, then air dry them.. I also splurged this season and got F3 shins, which also have the removable pads that I can throw in the wash.. They all go in the wash with my TW mask pads, and I'm the best smelling individual (by far these hot days) at the plate!
Smell Ya later, catcher!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Well, that definitely confirms that these trilocs were supposed to be there and were missing on the CP that I bought. 

Good customer service is nice, but getting a product that's right the first time is even nicer. These missing parts rendered my CP unusable and fostered a negative image of this company. 

All over a $1.50 piece of plastic. 

(If that seems harsh, it's coming from someone with decades of experience in manufacturing. I have lots of first-hand experience where "mistakes = lost customers".)

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, BretMan said:

Well, that definitely confirms that these trilocs were supposed to be there and were missing on the CP that I bought. 

Good customer service is nice, but getting a product that's right the first time is even nicer. These missing parts rendered my CP unusable and fostered a negative image of this company. 

All over a $1.50 piece of plastic. 

(If that seems harsh, it's coming from someone with decades of experience in manufacturing. I have lots of first-hand experience where "mistakes = lost customers".)

I see your point and can empathize.

My feeling is they rushed trying to get these out ASAP due to the shortage - and didn't do a good quality-control check to ensure they were completely ready before shipping them out to the suppliers.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 7/19/2018 at 9:12 AM, 300e said:

Long time listener, first time caller.

I was fortunate enough to get this vest in early March right before they went out of stock.  I do approximately 45 games a year, mostly select 10U-17U with a handful of LL games thrown in for fun.  I found this CP to be a great upgrade from my old catcher's style CP.

I took several balls off the clavicle this year without incident that would have resulted in injury with my old CP.  It breathes well, and anything off the chest plate barely registers.  I wore it as is with the bicep protecters and belly pad on, which does make it a bit bulky, but not uncomfortable by any means.  My only issue was getting the harness tight enough.  I have all of the harness slides (mine were not missing) to the max tightness and by the middle of the game the harness starts to get loose.  For reference I'm 6'2", 185lbs.  

It's a solid piece of equipment.  Not sure if I'll look to get a new harness or try to rig the existing harness to get it tighter but I'll be using this CP exclusively.

Wanted to update my original post on this CP.  I took another shot at getting it tightened up and was successful.  I strapped it on and had my wife tighten up each strap and it now fits to a tee.  Really love this CP.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1