Quick fit question

sd181612
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2215 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I just got my Doug (“treat yoself” birthday present....with some help) in 13”. However, I can’t seem to get the shoulder pads over, ironically, my shoulders; they dry looking forward and it looks bulky with the majestic(Sz M) on. Any tips???

Thanks!

F4A2C9E1-919E-4388-B1DA-659CDC67C48C.jpeg

3162EB6A-AFAA-4DCC-B9E2-CE76FC3C9AFD.jpeg

CC3F0E8A-AB34-4160-9BBB-F6A2D9CA03F7.jpeg

5515BB0B-7064-4EF7-9844-25FBFBCBCE15.jpeg

It looks like you need to wear it tighter. Tighten it so that the top of the pad is snug against the bottom of your neck and that should help with the shoulders. Let me know if that doesn't help. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

It looks like you need to wear it tighter. Tighten it so that the top of the pad is snug against the bottom of your neck and that should help with the shoulders. Let me know if that doesn't help. 

Thank you, I’ll definitley try it as soon as I get home. So, no need to size down right?

1 minute ago, midtnump said:

Get Ray's umplife harness, all star delta flex, or  the  Force  3 harness. It will sit high were it is supposed to and not move on you.  You will not be disappointed. 

I ordered one as soon as I found out I was getting a Douglas. It should be here next week!!!!!!!!!!

Just now, sd181612 said:

I ordered one as soon as I found out I was getting a Douglas. It should be here next week!!!!!!!!!!

Good move. As soon as you get that on and adjusted, the hanging look will go away. With the stock harness I was pushing on mine all the time, once I put that harness on it I never had to touch it once I put it on. 

• Thanks 1

IMO It needs to be higher and tighter.  It doesn't look like you are getting much protection on the collar bone. The new harness will help only if it is adjusted correctly.  

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, boyinr said:

IMO It needs to be higher and tighter.  It doesn't look like you are getting much protection on the collar bone. The new harness will help only if it is adjusted correctly.  

Do you think you’ll be able to help when I get the new harness (it’s kind of tedious)?

Find someone to help you adjust it properly. It is possible to do it on your own. But it involves taking it off and putting it on over and over.

But everyone has it nailed. It needs to be put as high as it can. The RayFlex will definitely do that for you.

11 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

Find someone to help you adjust it properly. It is possible to do it on your own. But it involves taking it off and putting it on over and over.

But everyone has it nailed. It needs to be put as high as it can. The RayFlex will definitely do that for you.

Thank you all! Unfortunately, no one close to me knows about umpiring, do you guys think you’ll be able to lend a hand?

23 hours ago, sd181612 said:

Thank you all! Unfortunately, no one close to me knows about umpiring, do you guys think you’ll be able to lend a hand?

Of course we could. But the delay in response could be annoying. 

The person physically helping you needs to know nothing about umpiring. Only how to follow instructions and tighten straps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can do it all yourself. The idea is to tighten the top straps until the top of the chest protector sits up almost touching the base of your neck.  Then, all you should need to do is tighten the side straps until snug.  The top straps are to keep the CP up tight against your chest and shoulders, while the side straps keep it snug to your sides and waist/lower torso. 

I'll try to post a pic later tonight of what you want to see for the neck unless someone else beats me to it.

I'd wholly recommend a harness from Razzer (Email him at: rbumpire37@gmail.com).   For around $36.50 shipped, you can get a harness that will take that Douglas' fit to the next level.  It is a fully customized harness (name & number, trim color, even small logo within reason).  Many MLB umpires have started using Ray's harness as a testament to his quality workmanship! 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

You can do it all yourself. The idea is to tighten the top straps until the top of the chest protector sits up almost touching the base of your neck.  Then, all you should need to do is tighten the side straps until snug.  The top straps are to keep the CP up tight against your chest and shoulders, while the side straps keep it snug to your sides and waist/lower torso. 

I'll try to post a pic later tonight of what you want to see for the neck unless someone else beats me to it.

I'd wholly recommend a harness from Razzer (Email him at: rbumpire37@gmail.com).   For around $36.50 shipped, you can get a harness that will take that Douglas' fit to the next level.  It is a fully customized harness (name & number, trim color, even small logo within reason).  Many MLB umpires have started using Ray's harness as a testament to his quality workmanship! 

@Razzer‘s harness should be arriving this week. Of course, I included tribute to my country and my favorite ump and put that #28. I’ll post pictures as soon as I get it on the CP. THANKS again, everyone. It’s truly awesome to be a part of this community.

• Like 2

On 3/3/2018 at 5:17 PM, JSam21 said:

Maybe need to heat gun it...

On 3/3/2018 at 6:51 PM, boyinr said:

5 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

It's waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy too low'n'loose on you. Way too. Way. Too. (Made my point?)

This isn't a Tummy Protector, It's a Chest Protector! The billow – the padding "collar" in blue – is supposed to be at or just beneath your Adam's Apple. Hike it up, soldier!

As soon as you push it up, you're going to realize the two problems with brand new, conventional, segmented hardshell CP's – the harnesses suck, and don't hold the CP snugly enough to you, and the shoulder arch plates are not conformed or pre-shaped. They're flat. The only CP's that are pre-shaped are the All-Star System 7, the Champro Pro Plus, and the Champion P2xx. All the rest get... well... flattened out (the Wilson Platinum especially!!!). As the rest of the guys here know, even my vaunted Schutt XV (and the AiR Flex prior to it) needed to be shaped and contoured to fit me properly.

So, bust out the heat gun (unless you are able to put your new CP in the back of your car during a 110º+ day, like we are here in Arizona!). I use an "industrial" paint stripping gun, but even a hair blow dryer will work. For this first time, if you can remove the padding jacket, do so. Once you do this the first time, follow-on shapings can be done with the jacket back in. You might want to get a rag, and place it upon the arch plate so you don't blister or dull the finish on the plastic. Apply heat. Once you feel it become somewhat pliable, you'll want to bend it, longitudinally (from front to back) as if it was bending over your shoulder. Don't pinch it or try to fold it, but instead curve it. Apply heat repeatedly until you get the desired form. Once you do this, take another rag, soak it in cold water, wring it out, then apply this cold rag to the formed plastic plate.

This may take an afternoon. The desired outcome is a CP that fits you like, well, a glove instead of hanging on you like a shop apron.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/3/2018 at 5:51 PM, boyinr said:

Exactly. If it's not adjusted correctly it will just sit where it currently is, even with a good harness.  It will just sit there more snugly.

7 hours ago, MadMax said:

It's waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy too low'n'loose on you. Way too. Way. Too. (Made my point?)

This isn't a Tummy Protector, It's a Chest Protector! The billow – the padding "collar" in blue – is supposed to be at or just beneath your Adam's Apple. Hike it up, soldier!

As soon as you push it up, you're going to realize the two problems with brand new, conventional, segmented hardshell CP's – the harnesses suck, and don't hold the CP snugly enough to you, and the shoulder arch plates are not conformed or pre-shaped. They're flat. The only CP's that are pre-shaped are the All-Star System 7, the Champro Pro Plus, and the Champion P2xx. All the rest get... well... flattened out (the Wilson Platinum especially!!!). As the rest of the guys here know, even my vaunted Schutt XV (and the AiR Flex prior to it) needed to be shaped and contoured to fit me properly.

So, bust out the heat gun (unless you are able to put your new CP in the back of your car during a 110º+ day, like we are here in Arizona!). I use an "industrial" paint stripping gun, but even a hair blow dryer will work. For this first time, if you can remove the padding jacket, do so. Once you do this the first time, follow-on shapings can be done with the jacket back in. You might want to get a rag, and place it upon the arch plate so you don't blister or dull the finish on the plastic. Apply heat. Once you feel it become somewhat pliable, you'll want to bend it, longitudinally (from front to back) as if it was bending over your shoulder. Don't pinch it or try to fold it, but instead curve it. Apply heat repeatedly until you get the desired form. Once you do this, take another rag, soak it in cold water, wring it out, then apply this cold rag to the formed plastic plate.

This may take an afternoon. The desired outcome is a CP that fits you like, well, a glove instead of hanging on you like a shop apron.

Good quote on the 110 days in a car.  I once left a pair of my crocs in my car working a game in Palm Springs and when I got done one of them had shrink four sizes.  I went to put them on and WHAM.

40 minutes ago, umpstu said:

Good quote on the 110 days in a car.  I once left a pair of my crocs in my car working a game in Palm Springs and when I got done one of them had shrink four sizes.  I went to put them on and WHAM.

They also probably were molten lava hot!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

They also probably were molten lava hot!

Extremely flexible.  A very hot day and had a double header.  Why only one shrunk is beyond me.

• Haha 2