INF, OBS, or Nothing

GiantEngineer
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2221 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

I had this play come up last season and wanted to get some opinions on it. 

5/6th grade - modified FED rules

Runner on 1st takes off stealing and the catcher makes a bad throw that goes between 1st and 2nd.  While the 2nd baseman is bent over trying to pick the ball up he is run into by the runner. 

I called obstruction because the 2B was not in possession of the ball and wasn't making an immediate play on the runner.

How would you have called this?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

15 minutes ago, GiantEngineer said:

I had this play come up last season and wanted to get some opinions on it. 

5/6th grade - modified FED rules

Runner on 1st takes off stealing and the catcher makes a bad throw that goes between 1st and 2nd.  While the 2nd baseman is bent over trying to pick the ball up he is run into by the runner. 

I called obstruction because the 2B was not in possession of the ball and wasn't making an immediate play on the runner.

How would you have called this?

In FED you're correct because there's no protection for a fielder without possession of the ball. In OBR a fielder is protected from obstruction if he's "in the act of fielding a [thrown] ball." 

Just now, GiantEngineer said:

Thanks for the clarification. My assignor said it was interference but when I checked the rule book it conflicted with what he said. 

It would be interference on a batted ball, because the fielder has absolute protection in his initial attempt to field a batted ball. But, your situation is a thrown ball, so unless running into F4 was intentional (which doesn't seem to be the case) OBS is the correct call.