HS qualifications

celt62
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2241 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

For the past nine seasons I have been doing strictly college ball.  I had rotator cuff surgery a few weeks ago and I'll probably miss half of my season which ends in early May.  I saw a friend tonight at a high school bball game that is the local HS VP for the baseball chapter and suggested I could come back to HS ball and pick up varsity games in May and June.  Do I have to take the test again to get certified so I can do varsity?  Or is that waved because I was one before, but it's been a long time since I've done HS.  Or does my college certification cover me? Thanks.

My guess would be this varies from state to state. Here, we need to take the NJSIAA re certification test and NFHS on line concussion training every year to be eligible to work varsity games, no matter what other levels you work.

• Thanks 1

It’s a tough thing to search. Try New York State Baseball Umpires Association website. New and returning umpire registration didn’t come up for me but I’m sure there is something there.

There is also the New York Public High School Athletics Association. 

If those don’t work try NFHS.org  maybe that site will lead you to proper place to register in NY state.

Good luck with your recovery and finding a place to work this season. 

Thank you.  I probably won't be able to do my first college game until the second or third week in April. It was either have the surgery now or a full replacement down the road.  I've already had two hip replacements so I didn't need anymore parts inside me. lol I might rust...

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2018 at 8:30 PM, Richvee said:

My guess would be this varies from state to state. Here, we need to take the NJSIAA re certification test and NFHS on line concussion training every year to be eligible to work varsity games, no matter what other levels you work.

I concur with Richvee that this is decided State-by-State, because as of Dec 01, 2017, Tennessee voted that Sports officials no longer have to take tests of any kind to be eligible to officiate.

YES. THAT IS FACT.  AN IDIOTIC ONE. 

The logic: Too many Officials cannot pass an OPEN BOOK TEST with score of 70, yet they’re pretty good officials who are needed. 

HOGWASH 

38 minutes ago, VolUmp said:

I concur with Richvee that this is decided State-by-State, because as of Dec 01, 2017, Tennessee voted that Sports officials no longer have to take tests of any kind to be eligible to officiate.

YES. THAT IS FACT.  AN IDIOTIC ONE. 

The logic: Too many Officials cannot pass an OPEN BOOK TEST with score of 70, yet they’re pretty good officials who are needed. 

HOGWASH 

translated-- We don't have enough officials to cover all the games, we can't thinning the numbers down just because some of these guys don't know the rules. 

• Like 1