NCAA Exam Thread

grayhawk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2233 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I remember a year or two ago the 'catch and carry' rule changed a bit. Which rule covers this?

I remember that catch and slide is an out - DB - move runners up. Is it the same with catch-step? My assumption is yes, so there would not be a live ball, then the fielder can come back and throw.

2 hours ago, maineump said:

I remember a year or two ago the 'catch and carry' rule changed a bit. Which rule covers this?

I remember that catch and slide is an out - DB - move runners up. Is it the same with catch-step? My assumption is yes, so there would not be a live ball, then the fielder can come back and throw.

The current rule book is two years old, 2017/2018. They clarified 6-1-2d for safety. 

d. If a fielder, after making a legal catch, steps into a bench or dugout or steps into dead-ball territory the ball is dead. Each runner, other than the batter, may without liability to be put out, advance one base when a fielder, after catching a fly ball, steps or falls into any out-of-play are. 

3 hours ago, Jimurray said:

The current rule book is two years old, 2017/2018. They clarified 6-1-2d for safety. 

d. If a fielder, after making a legal catch, steps into a bench or dugout or steps into dead-ball territory the ball is dead. Each runner, other than the batter, may without liability to be put out, advance one base when a fielder, after catching a fly ball, steps or falls into any out-of-play are. 

Thanks Jim -

Oh my god and it was highlighted too. Must have been tired -

On 2/7/2018 at 7:43 AM, maineump said:

it changed last year. If you catch and step. slide, fall, run, walk, two step or seawalk into any dead ball area. it is a 1 base award.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I might be over thinking this. It's C, right?

What is the penalty for an illegal pitching position?
  • a.
    • With the bases occupied, a balk shall be called.
  • b.
    • With the bases empty, issue a warning on the first offense and rule “no pitch” unless the batter reaches first base. Illegal pitch shall be called on subsequent offenses (call a ball unless the batter reaches first base).
  • c.
    • Both a and b.

8 hours ago, Forest Ump said:

I might be over thinking this. It's C, right?

What is the penalty for an illegal pitching position?

• a.
    • With the bases occupied, a balk shall be called.

• b.
    • With the bases empty, issue a warning on the first offense and rule “no pitch” unless the batter reaches first base. Illegal pitch shall be called on subsequent offenses (call a ball unless the batter reaches first base).

• c.
    • Both a and b.

You probably are overthinking........ sometimes the answer is the terribly obvious one.

• Like 1

R1 and R3, no one out. The pitcher comes set and R1 starts running toward 2nd base. F1 turns and throws to 2nd base.

• a.
    • Balk for throwing to an unoccupied base.
  • b.
    • A pitcher may throw to an unoccupied base if it is an attempt to retire a runner.
  • c.
    • The pitcher must step back legally off the pitcher's plate before he may throw to second.

The wording here...are they trying to throw me off? Does F1 just turn and throw while engaged with the rubber? I am assuming so, since it doesn't say he does spins or steps off...

It wouldn't be a balk for throwing in an unoccupied base.... so the answer is C, right?

1 minute ago, wingman3110 said:

R1 and R3, no one out. The pitcher comes set and R1 starts running toward 2nd base. F1 turns and throws to 2nd base.

• a.
    • Balk for throwing to an unoccupied base.

• b.
    • A pitcher may throw to an unoccupied base if it is an attempt to retire a runner.

• c.
    • The pitcher must step back legally off the pitcher's plate before he may throw to second.

The wording here...are they trying to throw me off? Does F1 just turn and throw while engaged with the rubber? I am assuming so, since it doesn't say he does spins or steps off...

It wouldn't be a balk for throwing in an unoccupied base.... so the answer is C, right?

B... he can throw if attempting to retire a runner

• Like 1

Gosh, I can't wait to see these answers, I only got a stinking 94% this year. What an embarrassment. I'm going to be kicking myself for days because of it. I have how any of those questions could be missed, though the ones I am worried for some reason are the appeal questions. 

I missed three. One was the question about how many warmup throws a defensive player substitute other than the pitcher gets. I had no idea there was a limit for that. I have always given them as many as they need within reason. 

What am I misunderstanding on this one?  4-4 tie is the correct answer according to the test.  I took the rules below to mean that since the HT only scored 2 runs in the inning while the VT scored 4, you would revert to the score at the end of the previous inning.  Or does "has scored in the uncompleted inning the same number of runs as the other team" not mean in that specific inning, but for the whole game?

After 6 innings, the home team leads 2-0. In the top of the 7th, the visiting team scores 4 runs. In the bottom of the 7th, the home team ties the game with a 2-run homer. However, with one out in the inning, the game is stopped due to rain and is not completed. There was no special conference rule or prior agreement in place for this game.
a. The game is suspended and will be continued when possible.
b. The game ends in a 4-4 tie.
c. Visiting team wins 4-2.
d. Home team wins 2-0.

Rule 5-10-a-2:

Art. a.

A regulation tie game shall be declared by the umpire-in-chief:

(1) If the score is tied when play is terminated after five or more equal innings; or

(2) If the team that went to bat second is at bat when play is terminated and has scored in the uncompleted inning the same number of runs as the other team.

Rule 5-8-b:

Art. b.

It shall be a regulation game if called by the umpire at any time after five innings have been completed, and the score shall be that of the last equal inning played, except that in the following circumstances the score of the game shall be the total number of runs that each team has scored:

(1) If the team second at bat has scored more runs at the end of its fourth inning than the team first at bat has scored in five completed innings;

(2) If the team second at bat has scored in an unequal number of innings more runs than the team first at bat; or

(3) If the team second at bat is at bat when the game is called and has scored in the incomplete inning the same number of runs or more runs than the team first at bat.

(4) By conference rule, or mutual consent of both coaches before the beginning of the contest, a game may be stopped after seven innings if one team is ahead by at least 10 runs.

1 hour ago, zoops said:

What am I misunderstanding on this one?  4-4 tie is the correct answer according to the test.  I took the rules below to mean that since the HT only scored 2 runs in the inning while the VT scored 4, you would revert to the score at the end of the previous inning.  Or does "has scored in the uncompleted inning the same number of runs as the other team" not mean in that specific inning, but for the whole game?

After 6 innings, the home team leads 2-0. In the top of the 7th, the visiting team scores 4 runs. In the bottom of the 7th, the home team ties the game with a 2-run homer. However, with one out in the inning, the game is stopped due to rain and is not completed. There was no special conference rule or prior agreement in place for this game.

a. The game is suspended and will be continued when possible.

b. The game ends in a 4-4 tie.

c. Visiting team wins 4-2.

d. Home team wins 2-0.

Rule 5-10-a-2:

Art. a.

A regulation tie game shall be declared by the umpire-in-chief:

(1) If the score is tied when play is terminated after five or more equal innings; or

(2) If the team that went to bat second is at bat when play is terminated and has scored in the uncompleted inning the same number of runs as the other team.

Rule 5-8-b:

Art. b.

It shall be a regulation game if called by the umpire at any time after five innings have been completed, and the score shall be that of the last equal inning played, except that in the following circumstances the score of the game shall be the total number of runs that each team has scored:

(1) If the team second at bat has scored more runs at the end of its fourth inning than the team first at bat has scored in five completed innings;

(2) If the team second at bat has scored in an unequal number of innings more runs than the team first at bat; or

(3) If the team second at bat is at bat when the game is called and has scored in the incomplete inning the same number of runs or more runs than the team first at bat.

(4) By conference rule, or mutual consent of both coaches before the beginning of the contest, a game may be stopped after seven innings if one team is ahead by at least 10 runs.

Yes, it means for the whole game.