Cricket umpiring scenario

Guest Dhiren Chaudhari
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2262 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Dhiren Chaudhari

Hello ! i have a question, if less than three minutes to go for tea and batting side's eight down, the next ball sharply bounces and hits the batsman and he/she 'retire-not out' and goes of the field. and there are three balls left in that over. now fielding captain requests umpire that to grand 30 min extra and extend the play. should umpire call and take immediately tea or grant fielding side 30 mins extra? thank you.

11 answers to this question

Hello ! i have a question, if less than three minutes to go for tea and batting side's eight down, the next ball sharply bounces and hits the batsman and he/she 'retire-not out' and goes of the field. and there are three balls left in that over. now fielding captain requests umpire that to grand 30 min extra and extend the play. should umpire call and take immediately tea or grant fielding side 30 mins extra? thank you.

What flavor of tea are you talking about. If it is sweet tea take the tea break otherwise continue in field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/11/2017 at 10:03 AM, Aging_Arbiter said:

day game or night game?

Usually, it would depend on the kind of match.  One-day matches can be all daytime, or day/night, while Tests are usually daytime.  (Having said that, the second Ashes Test in Adelaide was a day/night Test.)

(You spend six years in Australia, you learn a few things about the game.  By no means am I an expert, but I picked up stuff.)

For the question:  I wouldn't grant the extra time - take tea early.  The retired batsman hasn't lost his wicket, and could return, so it's not a situation where you'd be extending play to take the final wicket.

(I know - it's LIKE I'm speaking English, but it's like I'm not, too!)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, HokieUmp said:

Usually, it would depend on the kind of match.  One-day matches can be all daytime, or day/night, while Tests are usually daytime.  (Having said that, the second Ashes Test in Adelaide was a day/night Test.)

(You spend six years in Australia, you learn a few things about the game.  By no means am I an expert, but I picked up stuff.)

For the question:  I wouldn't grant the extra time - take tea early.  The retired batsman hasn't lost his wicket, and could return, so it's not a situation where you'd be extending play to take the final wicket.

(I know - it's LIKE I'm speaking English, but it's like I'm not, too!)