CP advice for college games

mwest5575
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2313 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hey guys. I've been using a Champion P2 (with the UL harness) for varsity and like the fit. I prefer a low profile CP. I am working on moving into college. I did some D2 scrimmages this fall. I thought it might be a good time to upgrade my cp. So two questions. Would my Champion be sufficient for college level games? And what would be the ideal low profile cp if I do upgrade? I want to stay as low profile as possible while protecting myself. I like the look of the Douglas and possibly the POS Cobra. I'm 6'3" 220#. Normally the Wilson options look bulky to me but maybe they wouldn't be on my frame. What would you guys suggest for college games?

Thanks.

ETA: I was looking at the WV Platinum and maybe it wouldn't be overly bulky on a larger frame. Can anyone out there speak to the platinum on a 6'3" 46ish chest frame?

Your champion will be fine for college ball. Heck... I know guys that wear it at the pro level.

Personally, I wear a modified Schutt XV for my games. I also have a Douglas that I need to break in.

What ever you do. Make sure to properly measure yourelf. I am 5'9" and was around 260 when I wore my Gold. It didn  cover my bottom rib.

• Like 1

I have made harnesses for guys working MiLB all the way up to AAA wearing the Champion CP and including a few guys working MLB.

If the Champion CP works for them it will work for you doing college ball.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I, too, do college-level ball with a Schutt XVm (“m” for modified). I even do Adult leagues and MiLB spring training games with it. Several of my colleagues, doing the exact same games, use Champions, Champros, Douglas-es, and Force3 UnEquals, primarily for two reasons – less bulk, and the desire to look sleeker and more athletic. Force3 UnEquals get a bit hot here in AZ because they’re so dense. The Douglas uses Qualux sofa-cushion foam, just like the Wilsons, but in a more compact, narrower style. The Champros and Champions are very good value, and because they use advanced foam sandwiches, can reduce the bulk significantly. The only reason they don’t get more “Play” is because they lack the MLB endorsement that Wilson clings to. The Schutt can be included in this discussion because it is using advanced D3O foam, keeping the weight and bulk down, but adds a feature by being exceptionally well ventilated. If it was any more hole-y, it would be blessed by the Pope!

I’m still entertaining the idea of getting a +POS Cobra, and putting it through its paces – it uses a five-layer advanced foam sandwich, is less bulky than its ZRO-G sibling, but uses the same PVC shell plastic, thus lowering the overall weight and increasing flexibility. The Cobra and Force3 UnEqual Mk II are the two newest CPs on the market, and just look, well, right.

All CPs can and will benefit from having a Flex-style harness, and the best Flex-style harness is @Razzer‘s UL “RayFlex” harness.

Nothing about the Wilson Golds or Platinums make them more beneficial for collegiate or professional baseball. They’re both really good CPs in their own right, but not exclusive.

Thanks for the replies. Given the responses I'm going to keep using my Champion cp. I have put the ray flex harness on it already and it fits me perfectly. I may try to pick up another if I find a good deal just so I can trade out on busy week/weekends but I can't imagine a cp fitting me better than the one I have. I just wasn't sure whether it was sufficient for higher levels of play given the "entry level price." 

I ran the +Pos Cobra out for a few games in the Fall and liked it

Not my go to rig simply because it is not padded enough.

Love the engineering and think it was well thought out in design and function. You can take the pad off and clean it.

Plastic is fine and shoulders have adequate protection. It is light and not restrictive. I just feel that a better pad or materials used would or could be better.

I like the idea of the D30 and have looked into seeing if I could perhaps have a pad made using the D30

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Razzer said:

I ran the +Pos Cobra out for a few games in the Fall and liked it

Not my go to rig simply because it is not padded enough.

Love the engineering and think it was well thought out in design and function. You can take the pad off and clean it.

Plastic is fine and shoulders have adequate protection. It is light and not restrictive. I just feel that a better pad or materials used would or could be better.

I like the idea of the D30 and have looked into seeing if I could perhaps have a pad made using the D30

Based on your thoughts, I can see the Skilled Tinkers on our site thinking up re-fit ideas now...........  

I've had dozens of MiLB umpires pass through Louisville, stop in and purchase the Champion P2 chest protector. In my conversations with them, they've been hit with foul balls and have (unfortunately) blocked pitches in the dirt. They've ALL seemed to love it and they LOVE that WE HAVE IT In-Stock.

Personally,  I "grew up" with the Wilson brand, so I'm sticking with the lady I took to the dance. Grabbing this chest protector, trying it on and see if I would ever use it ??? I would say, "Yes."

For those of you reading this post, here's a link to the Champion that the MiLB guys are using from our website: https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Gear-Footwear/Chest-Protectors/P2_Champion-Body-Armor-Umpire-Chest-Protector

ChampionChestProtector_1 (1).jpeg

• Like 1

On 11/27/2017 at 10:51 AM, Scott K said:

I've had dozens of MiLB umpires pass through Louisville, stop in and purchase the Champion P2 chest protector. In my conversations with them, they've been hit with foul balls and have (unfortunately) blocked pitches in the dirt. They've ALL seemed to love it and they LOVE that WE HAVE IT In-Stock.

Personally,  I "grew up" with the Wilson brand, so I'm sticking with the lady I took to the dance. Grabbing this chest protector, trying it on and see if I would ever use it ??? I would say, "Yes."

For those of you reading this post, here's a link to the Champion that the MiLB guys are using from our website: https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Gear-Footwear/Chest-Protectors/P2_Champion-Body-Armor-Umpire-Chest-Protector

ChampionChestProtector_1 (1).jpeg

Also a full HALF, if not more, as expensive as the big yellow W.

• Like 1