Howdy,

I love this site it is great to get a little umpire talk. Thanks for all of the great reviews. I have already begun contributing some of my own as well. Now a little about me:

I started umpiring Little League when I was in the 8th grade. I broke my arm snow skiing that spring break and the local league would not allow a player with a cast to sit on the bench. So being the baseball nerd that I already was, I took the rule book and saw that no where did it say that I could not umpire with a cast on....so a new hobby/side job was born. I called Little League in Tyler and Bullard, TX all throughout High School and college. I got to call a lot of district All-Star games and even went to sectionals one summer.

I joined the Tyler Chapter of the SOA (Now TASO) when I turned 18 during my senior year of high school so that I could begin calling high school ball. I continued to call out of the College Station chapter of TASO through college while I attended Texas A&M. Upon graduation from college in 2001 I moved to New Orleans to attend New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary. While I was in school there for three years I called with the Veterans Baseball/Softball group. I think they are no defunct. There was a split in the association during my last year there...I decided to stay with the more established group since I knew it would be my last year. I think after I left the group that split was able to take most of the schools and I do not believe that Veterans is around anymore. Kind of sad...I loved calling with those good ole boys. My last year to call was in 2004.

After graduating seminary, I decided to hang up the gear for a while. I started ministry full time working with students (2004), met my wife and got married (2005), moved to Georgia (2006), had our first child (2007), and moved back to Texas (2008). That brings us to 2009. I heard that the Beaumont chapter of TASO needed a little help on the north end of their coverage area (I live in Jasper, TX), so I decided to throw my hat in the ring. I thought I would take it slow this season, but I have jumped in with two feet. It has been so much fun. I forgot how much I enjoyed calling baseball games. High School season is going on right now and I also plan to volunteer and help out with some Little League stuff if I can.

I turned 30 this month, it is amazing how much different calling games on a 30 year old body is than on a 20 year old one. It is kind of funny. When I first started calling games, I was always the youngest one doing it. Now 10 years latter I still seem to be one of if not the youngest guy in our chapter. All around the country we need to work on getting younger people involved in officiating. If I am still the youngest in 10 years when I turn 40 we are going to be in for a world of hurt.

Edited by slo8140
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fees are not totally worked out, but guys from my part of the state where not in with the group that wanted to strike. Our mileage was upped and hopefully next year we will be able to get the fees totally fixed. Our executive director resigned, so maybe with some new blood running things for all of us high school officals in texas will help.

Howdy,

I love this site it is great to get a little umpire talk. Thanks for all of the great reviews. I have already begun contributing some of my own as well. Now a little about me:

I started umpiring Little League when I was in the 8th grade. I broke my arm snow skiing that spring break and the local league would not allow a player with a cast to sit on the bench. So being the baseball nerd that I already was, I took the rule book and saw that no where did it say that I could not umpire with a cast on....so a new hobby/side job was born. I called Little League in Tyler and Bullard, TX all throughout High School and college. I got to call a lot of district All-Star games and even went to sectionals one summer.

I joined the Tyler Chapter of the SOA (Now TASO) when I turned 18 during my senior year of high school so that I could begin calling high school ball. I continued to call out of the College Station chapter of TASO through college while I attended Texas A&M. Upon graduation from college in 2001 I moved to New Orleans to attend New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary. While I was in school there for three years I called with the Veterans Baseball/Softball group. I think they are no defunct. There was a split in the association during my last year there...I decided to stay with the more established group since I knew it would be my last year. I think after I left the group that split was able to take most of the schools and I do not believe that Veterans is around anymore. Kind of sad...I loved calling with those good ole boys. My last year to call was in 2004. During my first 8 years of calling HS ball I was able to call numerous playoff games up to the regional finals in both Texas and LA.

After graduating seminary, I decided to hang up the gear for a while. I started ministry full time working with students (2004), met my wife and got married (2005), moved to Georgia (2006), had our first child (2007), and moved back to Texas (2008). That brings us to 2009. I heard that the Beaumont chapter of TASO needed a little help on the north end of their coverage area (I live in Jasper, TX), so I decided to throw my hat in the ring. I thought I would take it slow this season, but I have jumped in with two feet. It has been so much fun. I forgot how much I enjoyed calling baseball games. High School season is going on right now and I also plan to volunteer and help out with some Little League stuff if I can.

I turned 30 this month, it is amazing how much different calling games on a 30 year old body is than on a 20 year old one. It is kind of funny. When I first started calling games, I was always the youngest one doing it. Now 10 years latter I still seem to be one of if not the youngest guy in our chapter. All around the country we need to work on getting younger people involved in officiating. If I am still the youngest in 10 years when I turn 40 we are going to be in for a world of hurt.

Very funny I lived in Jasper up until I graduated HS and moved here to Tyler.