gnhbua93
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2204 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I believe Wegner was wearing a Force3 mask.  Must be a damn good mask.  I know with myself, I've taken some hits to the mask (both being a long time umpire and catcher) and even I may make the joke with coaches and catchers that unless I go down to the ground, keep going.

2 hours ago, Bloodhound1042 said:

I believe Wegner was wearing a Force3 mask.  Must be a damn good mask.  I know with myself, I've taken some hits to the mask (both being a long time umpire and catcher) and even I may make the joke with coaches and catchers that unless I go down to the ground, keep going.

Yes. He is wearing a Force3. He moved to one shortly after Mike Winters (his crew chief) started wearing his.

• 4 months later...

I realize this is a nearly-six-month old posting, but I'm bringing it back to the current point so new members here can see it.

Watch it again. And again. Listen to the force of the impact – it sounded like a sledge hitting the bell at the local carnival midway!

99 mph.

Cheap pleather and open cell (sofa cushion) pads ain't gonna cut the mustard any more, gentlemen. The Force3 Defender mask is first-rate, have no doubt, but even better because it's teamed with its own Kevlar-lined mask pads. It would really help if we could all see (and thus, know) a Force3 logo on the chin tab, instead of it going un-advertised...

#EvolveOrExpire

1 hour ago, MadMax said:

It would really help if we could all see (and thus, know) a Force3 logo on the chin tab, instead of it going un-advertised...

#EvolveOrExpire

Maybe soon with Under Amour, and thus All Star, moving in in two years.

28 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

Maybe soon with Under Amour, and thus All Star, moving in in two years.

Two years? My good man, next year. Consider that, perhaps, the reason why we're seeing umpires covering up the Big Gold W on their CP's is because... well... they're not wearing Wilsons at that point. They're actually wearing alt-brand stuff (dare we say, CPU4000's???!!) that's being given to them, on a trial basis, by... "interested" or "invested" companies.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MadMax said:

Two years? My good man, next year. Consider that, perhaps, the reason why we're seeing umpires covering up the Big Gold W on their CP's is because... well... they're not wearing Wilsons at that point. They're actually wearing alt-brand stuff (dare we say, CPU4000's???!!) that's being given to them, on a trial basis, by... "interested" or "invested" companies.

I thought UA was taking over in 2020?

Also was finding myself wondering how many guys are wearing the System7 CP?

Indeed. I was working a high school JV game in Howard County. I took a deflected foul ball to the jaw, and felt nothing! I was wearing a Force3 traditional style mask with the throat protector. This means that the Force3 really is a good piece of equipment. I bought mine because I tried on a partner's mask, and it felt lighter than my usual mask, but never did I expect that it would also be top-notch in terms of protection. 

3 hours ago, MadMax said:

I realize this is a nearly-six-month old posting, but I'm bringing it back to the current point so new members here can see it.

Watch it again. And again. Listen to the force of the impact – it sounded like a sledge hitting the bell at the local carnival midway!

99 mph.

Cheap pleather and open cell (sofa cushion) pads ain't gonna cut the mustard any more, gentlemen. The Force3 Defender mask is first-rate, have no doubt, but even better because it's teamed with its own Kevlar-lined mask pads. It would really help if we could all see (and thus, know) a Force3 logo on the chin tab, instead of it going un-advertised...

#EvolveOrExpire

I bought one this offseason. Probably should have done it sooner, but at least I’m there now. It’s my brain - protection should be the #1 priority, not weight or comfort. Truth be told, I’ve done 4 games with it so far and I honestly don’t notice a weight issue. Frankly, when I took it out of the box, I thought it would be heavier. 

I’m convinced some guys would wear a mask made out of macaroni noodles if it existed because “oh man, check out how light this is!”

It’s all personal risk tolerance. I play men’s league hockey. I’ll never, ever understand guys who don’t wear cages. “I can see better!” Or “Tough guys don’t wear cages!” Well, then they take a puck or stick to the face, and won’t you know it, then they go get a cage. Or they lose an eye, as a guy on a friend’s team did last year. 

Me? I’ll never understand sacrificing known, proven safety for these negligible “advantages” or simply comfort. Hell, I even wear a neck guard for hockey. This has been going on forever - there are still those that inexplicably don’t wear a seat belt because seat belts are “uncomfortable”. 

I'm not so convinced that the F3 protects better to such a degree compared to my current mask.
Have you taken a pitch or foul ball off of one? I have no doubt that the F3 is better than any other mask I have worn.

There's a reason behind why it is catching on between catchers and umpires in the majors and it's not because it's the lightest mask out there

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Just an observation..........is it just me, or are we seeing some new, low post entries all shilling for the Force products?........Its not required, if you make a better piece of gear, Umpires  will gravitate towards it..............

It smacks of "free internet advertising efforts".................if so, call warren and sponsor the site by purchasing the advertising.... 

• Like 2

Just an observation..........is it just me, or are we seeing some new, low post entries all shilling for the Force products?........Its not required, if you make a better piece of gear, Umpires  will gravitate towards it..............
It smacks of "free internet advertising efforts".................if so, call warren and sponsor the site by purchasing the advertising.... 
Just because I don't have a ton of posts doesn't mean I don't have opinions about a product that I have purchased. Good products lead to happy customers, I can post about my experience with the F3

Have you taken a pitch or foul ball off of one? I have no doubt that the F3 is better than any other mask I have worn.

There's a reason behind why it is catching on between catchers and umpires in the majors and it's not because it's the lightest mask out there

I have taken 2 shots with the Plus Pos ZRO-G with Wilson memory foam pads that actually bent the masks where I felt no ill effects and have taken one shot with my F3 that I felt.

So anecdotal stories about shots, to me, are of little value. In my case, it doesn’t make the Plus Pos better - it’s just not real data.

I would like to see actual lab testing results comparing energy transfer between different masks before deciding that one is “safer” than another.
  • Like 3

I have taken 2 shots with the Plus Pos ZRO-G with Wilson memory foam pads that actually bent the masks where I felt no ill effects and have taken one shot with my F3 that I felt.

So anecdotal stories about shots, to me, are of little value. In my case, it doesn’t make the Plus Pos better - it’s just not real data.

I would like to see actual lab testing results comparing energy transfer between different masks before deciding that one is “safer” than another.
I completely agree that lab data is needed

7 hours ago, Stan W. said:

Yeah, I'm totally on here posting as a F3 employee, I just moonlight as a HS umpire in my spare time and make all sorts of non-F3 posts on here just to throw you off. Nailed it.

F3 mask is the only piece of F3 gear I own (so far).

• Haha 2