Is gum a foreign substance?

Jimurray
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1633 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• 2 months later...
On 10/16/2017 at 7:49 PM, Jimurray said:

Game 3, ALCS, HOU at NYY. HOU pitcher Morton puts hand to mouth which has a wad of gum sticking out. He wipes on uni or fingers after. I'm guessing he's done it all season and MLB is good  with it but seems strange to me.

Didn't see this during game but Girardi was questioning it:

https://www.mlb.com/video/girardi-talks-with-umpires/c-1864891883

• 4 months later...
16 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

I'm a Tribe fan, but not necessarily a Bauer fan - yet I believe he makes a good point.   If you look at the staff ERA's before they joined the Astros and then after, you wonder if coaching alone could have made the changes to their pitchers that have been made.  It's out of my league, but makes one wonder...

If it truly is coaching, then give that man a raise!

One of my favorite books as a kid was "It Ain't Cheating If You Don't Get Caught." It is filled with step by step instructions on how to do all kinds of "interesting" things to the ball, bat, glove, etc.

It has been out of print for some time. But you can still find copies if you look.

• 1 year later...

Has Charlie Morton perfected his gum technique. I missed getting his Monday game on the DVR and clips don't show him between pitches except for a few. On the dirt you wouldn't know he's chewing anything but in the dugout and walking off he seems to be chewing. Houston probably knows his technique and benefited from it last year so they shouldn't complain this year.