WS crew..

Haid D' Salaami
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2347 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

6 hours ago, gnhbua93 said:

So why you wrote. To let us know that you have a friend that is a MLB umpire and that makes you feel important and special. Big deal!!!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I can see why you think that.. I apologize for the post as I'm not meaning for it to come across like that

• Like 1

I think it might have come across better if you told us after the crew was announced. This just comes across as bragging about non-public information. In any case, congrats to your friend and hopefully he and the rest of the crew does an excellent job like we all know they will. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, LittleBlue said:

I think it might have come across better if you told us after the crew was announced. This just comes across as bragging about non-public information. In any case, congrats to your friend and hopefully he and the rest of the crew does an excellent job like we all know they will. 

The crew hasnt been annouced.

Davis just completed his 34th (1984) full time season (fill in/call up--for 82, 83).

He has worked a total of 35 Special Events (i.e. ASG, WC, DS, LCS, WS) in that period of time.

Since Jim Honochick worked his 6th WS in 1972 only 3 other umpires have accomplished that feat.

Ed Montague, Joe West and now Gerry Davis.

Pretty neat career.

18 hours ago, tpatience said:

if I had to guess, this will probably be the last WS for Davis. He has had a great career 

Davis doesn't seem to be suffering any real ill effects of such a long career. I wouldn't bet on this being this being his last go around.

2 hours ago, Richvee said:

No post season for West. Wonder if the Beltre comment had anything to do with it?

Why do the players get to vote and publicly state who they feel is the worst MLB umpire every year, but one off-the-cuff conversation between guys who really don't have an ax to grind with each other, and probably really ARE on good terms (as West stated) gets West suspended for 3 games?

Ridiculous double standard.  West would never have said it if it weren't absolutely true.

It's also interesting that the players will have a huge percentage of them voting an umpire among the worst, and an equally huge percentage voting the same umpire among the best.  That just cannot be.  That's how good of umpires the players are.  Very consistent .....

9 hours ago, Richvee said:

No post season for West. Wonder if the Beltre comment had anything to do with it?

Could have been. But they did suspend Joe over the Papelbon incident in late September 2014 and he still received a post season assignment. And of course the press would have been all over his comments again, just like they were all over DeMuth last year for his comments about drilling the runner in the back to get the RLI  interference call going to first and taking all doubt away, and DeMuth did not work the playoffs. Or, are they just giving some guys a rest every year so they can get the next group of umpires ready or more ready for future post season assignments?

However, although all umpires would probably love to be chosen for an assignment most years, IMHO at this point in the game for most senior umpires, it would seem like they would be extremely happy  to see members of their crew receiving assignments regardless of whether or not they receive one every year or not.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, dumbdumb said:

Could have been. But they did suspend Joe over the Papelbon incident in late September 2014 and he still received a post season assignment. And of course the press would have been all over his comments again, just like they were all over DeMuth last year for his comments about drilling the runner in the back to get the RLI  interference call going to first and taking all doubt away, and DeMuth did not work the playoffs. Or, are they just giving some guys a rest every year so they can get the next group of umpires ready or more ready for future post season assignments?

However, although all umpires would probably love to be chosen for an assignment most years, IMHO at this point in the game for most senior umpires, it would seem like they would be extremely happy  to see members of their crew receiving assignments regardless of whether or not they receive one every year or not.

Demuth was hurt at the end of last season, that is why he did not get any postseason assignments. In 2014 so many umpires missed so much time that most every eligible umpire had to work a playoff game.  

I’m suspecting that would mean he’s headed to the Replay Room. Meals had the same assignment when he worked his plate job in Game 1 WS