Jump to content

Hit em with the old 7.13(2)


ricka56

Recommended Posts

44 minutes ago, zm1283 said:

I have seen all of these. There was a video shown in the last couple of years that showed a catcher field a throw with a runner trying to score and stick his left leg out into the runner's path and redirect him off his path to keep him from touching the plate. They talked about it and said it should be obstruction even though he was in the act of fielding a throw. I tried to find it but will keep looking. 

Edit: I don't know how to save NCAA videos off the Arbiter, but I can tell you which one to watch. Go back to videos from 4/5/15. There is one titled "Obstruction at HP New Interp" and it is 5:29 long

I've seen that video. I thought it made sense. It is at odds with the more NCAA video current interps. I might have referenced the conflict in an earlier thread. I think I did screen grabs of similar plays from the videos, intending to post the conflict. Can't remember if I did or just mentioned the conflict a previous post. But, currently, NCAA has made it clear to me and @humanbackstop19 that that is how they want it called. Whether that filtered down to the rank and file, many of whom do not even pay their money to see the info on the site and just depend on their assignor/paycheck's interps to rule, I don't know. BTW, this conflicting interp should not be a reason to not pay your money, not take their tests for any umpire doing JUCO, D1-3 ball. But many do not avail themselves and their assignors don't care. I do know this: Making sense of the MLB/OBR and NCAA rule verbiage is a lawyers dream, except for @lawump.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jimurray said:

I've seen that video. I thought it made sense. It is at odds with the more NCAA video current interps. I might have referenced the conflict in an earlier thread. I think I did screen grabs of similar plays from the videos, intending to post the conflict. Can't remember if I did or just mentioned the conflict a previous post. But, currently, NCAA has made it clear to me and @humanbackstop19 that that is how they want it called. Whether that filtered down to the rank and file, many of whom do not even pay their money to see the info on the site and just depend on their assignor/paycheck's interps to rule, I don't know. BTW, this conflicting interp should not be a reason to not pay your money, not take their tests for any umpire doing JUCO, D1-3 ball.  I do know this: Making sense of the MLB/OBR and NCAA rule verbiage is a lawyers dream, except for @lawump.

Makes sense. I just don't remember a video or interp from 2016 or 2017 when the new home plate rule has been in effect that reversed this interp from 2015, and I register with the NCAA every year. I was under the impression that this is still a good interp even though the collision/slide rule was altered. I would be interested to see something official from the NCAA though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, zm1283 said:

Makes sense. I just don't remember a video or interp from 2016 or 2017 when the new home plate rule has been in effect that reversed this interp from 2015, and I register with the NCAA every year. I was under the impression that this is still a good interp even though the collision/slide rule was altered. I would be interested to see something official from the NCAA though. 

What's not official about Drouches verbal in the explanations of the video on the NCAA website? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Jimurray said:

What's not official about Drouches verbal in the explanations of the video on the NCAA website? 

Which video? I can't find anywhere where they say it is now legal to redirect the runner with the leg of the catcher even after receiving the ball, which is what Contreras did and what was done in the video I referenced above. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, zm1283 said:

Which video? I can't find anywhere where they say it is now legal to redirect the runner with the leg of the catcher even after receiving the ball, which is what Contreras did and what was done in the video I referenced above. 

I see no redirection. I see a legal block in both NCAA 2017 videos and the illegal  OBR:/MLB OP which would be legal in NCAA. The redirect video is not the current interp as far as I can tell. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 10/17/2017 at 11:01 PM, Jimurray said:

I see no redirection. I see a legal block in both NCAA 2017 videos and the illegal  OBR:/MLB OP which would be legal in NCAA. The redirect video is not the current interp as far as I can tell. 

I see that @humanbackstop19 has given me a like today on this post. Which must mean that he has viewed slide #8 in the NCAA online clinic where they allow the catcher to block the plate "in this manner" when in the act of fielding the ball.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/17/2018 at 2:40 PM, Jimurray said:

I see that @humanbackstop19 has given me a like today on this post. Which must mean that he has viewed slide #8 in the NCAA online clinic where they allow the catcher to block the plate "in this manner" when in the act of fielding the ball.

http://ncaabaseball.arbitersports.com/front/105039/Video/player/13995/17041

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...