Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Gil

MLB Ejections 168-169 - Livensparger, Layne (CIN-NYM)

Recommended Posts

HP Umpire Shane Livensparger ejected Reds 2B Scooter Gennett (strike two and three calls; QOCY) in the top of the 7th and 1B Umpire Jerry Layne ejected Mets Manager Terry Collins (Replay Review decision overturning HP Umpire Livensparger's out call at home plate to "safe"; QOCY) in the top of the...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was watching this game. I was surprised by the Gennett EJ as he didn't seem to direct anything at PU. 

 

Anyone have any  thoughts on PU positioning on play at the plate that was overturned? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, stkjock said:

I was watching this game. I was surprised by the Gennett EJ as he didn't seem to direct anything at PU. 

 

Anyone have Abe thoughts on PU positioning on play at the plate that was overturned? 

I think the equipment fine was good for the spike of the helmet and the ej was unnecessary for flipping the elbow guard as I didn't see that directed at the umpire.

 

As far as the play at the plate, I think he wants to be more to the left. I think he over rotated and got stuck when F2 dropped down and slid to his left to apply the tag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, stkjock said:

I was watching this game. I was surprised by the Gennett EJ as he didn't seem to direct anything at PU. 

PU told him to pick up the helmet and/or KTSO. Then he threw the guard. EJ is pretty automatic there.

59 minutes ago, stkjock said:

Anyone have Abe thoughts on PU positioning on play at the plate that was overturned? 

I don't know whether these count as Abe thoughts, but he's in the proper position, head still. He just missed an extremely tight call. Remember that the human eye can distinguish events only to about .04 seconds, and I'd bet that the gap between touch and tag was right around there.

It looks easy or obvious only in super slo mo, where .04 seconds gets stretched to a few seconds. Even Mets fans can get it right at that point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, maven said:

I don't know whether these count as Abe thoughts, but he's in the proper position, head still. He just missed an extremely tight call. Remember that the human eye can distinguish events only to about .04 seconds, and I'd bet that the gap between touch and tag was right around there.

It looks easy or obvious only in super slo mo, where .04 seconds gets stretched to a few seconds. Even Mets fans can get it right at that point.

LOL! Damn auto correct. 

From my reading here, I'd have thought that he would want to rotate to his left to see the tag applied better   

 

24 minutes ago, maven said:

PU told him to pick up the helmet and/or KTSO. Then he threw the guard. EJ is pretty automatic there.

Gotcha.  Live I just didn't get the impression of it being directed at PU so that's why I was a bit surprised.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...