Equipment Bag Debate

Umpire in Chief
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2401 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

My Diamond Ultimate 30" Equipment bag has reached it end of life. This year it remained on life support having had to glue one of the wheels in with Gorilla Glue. 

So now find myself contemplating 2 bags:

They both get a lot of positive mentions here. But here is one thing that is somewhat important to me, but I've never seen mentioned here; breath-ability.

Why you ask?  After a game here in the summer my equipment is weighed down with tons of nasty sweat. So after my game I don't put my equipment back in the bag so it can air out - the best they can in my trunk. I would like to put it back where it belongs in my bag, but if I did my equipment would never dry out. 

I'd love your thoughts pros/cons on each!

I can't really comment on either bag because I don't have either (I have a Wilson), but I will say that after a long game on a hot day I usually put my gear in the back seat to air out in the AC on the drive home and then I take them in the house to further air out in the AC. I can't stand the smell if you put your gear right in the gear bag. You open the bag a day or so later for the next game and oh boy the smell can be bad. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Umpire in Chief said:

My Diamond Ultimate 30" Equipment bag has reached it end of life. This year it remained on life support having had to glue one of the wheels in with Gorilla Glue. 

So now find myself contemplating 2 bags:

They both get a lot of positive mentions here. But here is one thing that is somewhat important to me, but I've never seen mentioned here; breath-ability.

Why you ask?  After a game here in the summer my equipment is weighed down with tons of nasty sweat. So after my game I don't put my equipment back in the bag so it can air out - the best they can in my trunk. I would like to put it back where it belongs in my bag, but if I did my equipment would never dry out. 

I'd love your thoughts pros/cons on each!

If this type bag works for Ted it should work for you.

https://www.google.com/search?q=major+league+umpire+trunks&safe=active&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwivms7D-e7VAhUI6CYKHdaTAsMQsAQIQw&biw=1844&bih=937#imgrc=iqlzIiV82i4H2M:

you might find an used/antique one on ebay from this old company

https://www.google.com/search?q=priesmeyer+bros+trunk+co&safe=active&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiSlIKK--7VAhVQ3yYKHdZsCfUQsAQIJw&biw=1844&bih=937#imgrc=kUkB-50qY0xv1M:

and a little equipment story from this past spring to go along.

https://philliesinsider.mlblogs.com/behind-the-scene-manager-equipment-umpires-room-be8c8eba8043

or just do sweat gland surgery and you will be good as new. But, I do not think Dr. James Andrews does that type surgery. Sorry.

I just bought the F3 bag this year. Here's what I like:
- Lots of pockets, but I really use two of them more than the others, the "outside" one (I use for sunscreen, bug spray, and shoe cleaner) and one on the inside (I use for indicator, lineup card holder, pencil, stopwatch, etc.)
- separate "big" compartments for uniforms and protective equipment
- build quality - I've beat up the wheels lifting it up stairs with no issues, the zippers are serious, and I've extended and retracted the handle numerous times with no issues

As for "breath-ability" - not so much. the large upper compartment where the protective equipment is held has no holes. It would certainly be possible to open them back up when you get to the car, but that's not a feature of the bag.

However, one thing I do which does help - whenever I get a package that has one of those silica-gel dessicant packs, I keep them and then throw them in my bag. It's no substitute for taking out your equipment to dry once you get home, but it does make a difference, and keeps the bag from smelling like a locker room.

I use the ETECH 2.0 ebag because it has a deeper and wider bottom compartment than the motherlode so i switched to that. The bag holds just as much as when i had the wilson but this bag is 7 inches shorter, very organizable with moveable velco dividers for the bottom and 2 large zip pockets. Its great for me since im always traveling. Breathability is ok, i leave it partially unzipped for travel and then take out my plate gear in my next city. 

I have the Force3 but it's life is also coming to an end .....  looking at the eBags myself.

However, sweat and equipment?   If you can find it, Fabreeze Sport gets sprayed after every game, and .... my shins and CP don't go in the bag during the season.  I typically keep my shins out stacked on top of each other (easier than going in and out every time), and my CP hangs on a hangar on the back of my passenger side seat head-rest bar.

Are you dissatisfied with the Diamond? Other than breath-ability, what other concerns might there be?

I, like @LittleBlue and @Thunderheads and other I am sure, put my sweatiest gear - shins, CP, even shoes - in the passenger compartment for the ride home. If any have not yet dried by the time I get home, they go into the basement with the de-humdifier overnight for a more complete drying process. It takes some time, but there is no death rot stank in any of my gear.

I say stick with the Diamond.

I have the Ebag. It's great for flying. You have to get creative with how to pack everything. It helps to know origami. 

I bought it because of the lifetime warantly. However, I've been told they won't honor it if you tell them you use it for umpiring. I can't verify that but some friends said they tried and were denied.

I had the Force3 when Honigs made them and the first time I flew with it the zipper was destroyed on the bottom compartment. So I've been skeptical of that bag ever since.

Personally, if I didn't have to fly I would probably get one of the bigger bags. There's just more room to pack everything you need. I have to double and triple check things with my Ebag to make sure I'm not forgetting anything and staying under weight. 

1 minute ago, MidAmUmp said:

I have the Ebag. It's great for flying. You have to get creative with how to pack everything. It helps to know origami. 

I bought it because of the lifetime warantly. However, I've been told they won't honor it if you tell them you use it for umpiring. I can't verify that but some friends said they tried and were denied.

I had the Force3 when Honigs made them and the first time I flew with it the zipper was destroyed on the bottom compartment. So I've been skeptical of that bag ever since.

Personally, if I didn't have to fly I would probably get one of the bigger bags. There's just more room to pack everything you need. I have to double and triple check things with my Ebag to make sure I'm not forgetting anything and staying under weight. 

Now just hang on one cotton-pickin' minute:   Is that you Jason???   Posting in the 'equipment forum' ???  Say it isn't so!!! LOL :D 

Ebag all the way. I had the original Force3 and the updated one with better zippers and wheels (Force3 actually sent me the upgraded version for free after I had two of the first gen ones zipper fail within a year of use).

I have had no issues with the ebags. I actually had the medium size one that I use for family travel and football. Just added the smallest one as well for quick trips. I am a very loyal ebags shopper...even my laptop backpack is from them. Anytime I have had an issue they replace the bag or part rapidly with no questions asked.

I won't go back. Love the orange interior as it makes things easy to see.

10 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

Now just hang on one cotton-pickin' minute:   Is that you Jason???   Posting in the 'equipment forum' ???  Say it isn't so!!! LOL :D 

I post in the equipment forum with the frequency of a solar eclipse.

I just think if people spent a little more time discussing rules, situations, and mechanics instead of their 6 masks and all the crap they have in their "bucket" they'd become the umpire they are trying to look like. :wink:

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MidAmUmp said:

I post in the equipment forum with the frequency of a solar eclipse.

I just think if people spent a little more time discussing rules, situations, and mechanics instead of their 6 masks and all the crap they have in their "bucket" they'd become the umpire they are trying to look like. :wink:

That's where I think your thought process is flawed.  Who's to say that anyone who discusses equipment doesn't want to 'become' better, or, that they don't find rules, situations or mechanics important?  Just because you don't see them discussing things in those forums doesn't mean they don't care.

"Bucket"?  That hasn't been discussed in YEARS... LOL, .....and all it shows anyone is that you're organized and prepared for anything.  Not a bad thing.

You see, Jason..........you don't discuss anything in the equipment forum, (which is perfectly fine) but I'm not going to assume (nor do I think anyone on this site would assume) for a second that you have crappy equipment, that you don't care what your equipment is like, or that you're not organized because you don't have a bucket?   I know just the opposite! :D 

See what I mean? :nod: 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2017 at 7:34 AM, MidAmUmp said:

They corrected the zipper issues.  I owned one of the old ones and the zippers were horrible. Not so with the newer models.

@Umpire in Chief If you are still looking for an equipment bag, Homerun Monkey is having a 20% off sale with the code laborday20 thru labor day. They have the large and small diamond bags and the wilson. The large bags are only $111.99 after the discount. When I plugged in standard shipping it was only $6.98 for shipping. Great deal if you or anyone else wants to take advantage of anything they sale.

• Like 1