New ump from PA

Ty97
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2432 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hey everyone this is Ty.  I've been a viewer of the site for a while but this is my first post.  I'm a teenage ump and this was my first season of really getting into Little League, other than just doing the bases every once in a while in the past.  I was asked to join my League's crew for All Stars this year and it was one of the most fun experiences of my life.  I guess I must've done a decent job during the pool play rounds, as I was asked to umpire the District quarterfinals, semifinals, and District championship games, and also got the chance to work two Sectionals games after the District Championship. I was super fortunate and extremely grateful to get assigned such big games in my first year around. Next year in addition to Little League I am hoping to work some games for older leagues and just keep getting better as an umpire. Any advice is appreciated from you guys.  This year I used the gear that my league owned which was not the best so tips on what to buy for myself would be awesome.  Thanks everyone I'm happy to be on this site!

• Like 1

Ty - welcome!

As a LL UIC let me say that I absolutely love 'junior' umpires! Congratulations on working All Stars and the other District games. Being assigned to those levels shows that your District UIC and assignor see something not only in your abilities but felt it pertinent to reward your dedication to the program.

As a viewer of the site you already know a lot of what the advice you will receive will be. Keep reading, learning and asking questions.

As for gear... first I would approach your league UIC or District UIC and see if they have any type of scholarship or grant funds available for up and coming officials; many do and many will pay for if not all a good portion of your gear costs. Our district for several years has hosted a gear donation at the beginning of each season to help the new guys out... I saw West Vests, Wilson Gear bags, Wilson shins etc all being handed over free of charge to the new guys including tons of uniform items. 

If nothing like the gear donation exists... buy the best you can afford and then supplement as you can. Do not discount Craigslist... especially now with seasons ending you may find lots of Dad's who got pulled into umpiring their kids games basically dumping almost new gear for a fraction of the cost to purchase at retail. Check it now and check it often! Also... you are a teenager... Christmas is coming and man... nothing like opening new gear under the tree! Santa is always a viable option :nod:

Welcome to the community and keep it up!

• Like 3

Regarding gear, first focus on mask and cup. Then CP, then shins and finally shoes.

I prefer a mask vs. a helmet as I find it easier to remove. Also, I wear it loose enough to rotate on my head if it gets hit with a glancing blow, or allow for maximum pad compression if it's a straight on shot. I also recommend a hard shell CP. The harness is an important part of the CP, so keep that in mind. I was happy with my V-Sport with it's OEM harness, but then added an All-Star Flex and it's like a new CP. It fits and feels much better. 

Finally, this is a great resource, don't be afraid to ask questions. 

• Like 1

Great baseball name. You already have the most important thing going for you. You want to get better and know it will take work. Work as much as you can and ask for feedback. Most guys are willing to help a young umpire. If you are reading this site you're already ahead of lots of guys. Good luck, strikes and outs.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like 1