Joe West suspended 3 games for bashing Beltre in article...

scrounge
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2422 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Joe West suspended after calling Adrian Beltre 'biggest complainer' in MLB

Thomas LottOmnisport

Updated at 8:35 p.m. ET

Joe West has been suspended for three games after calling Adrian Beltre the 'biggest' complainer in the game in a USA Today article.

West, who recently umpired his 5,000th career game, opened up a lot about MLB but the statement that got him in trouble came when he was asked who the biggest complainer in MLB is. He answered matter-of-factly and succinctly with Rangers third baseman Adrian Beltre.

"It’s got to be Adrian Beltre. Every pitch you call that’s a strike, he says, “Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!’ I had a game with him recently and the pitch was right down the middle. He tells me, 'That ball is outside.’

"I told him, ‘You may be a great ballplayer, but you’re the worst umpire in the league. You stink."

[more at the link]

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/news/joe-west-suspended-adrian-beltre-biggest-complainer-rangers/1xlfv5a5vrp3919e17om5y840y

are we talking about that nice young man who tried to keep a player out of trouble and in the game once upon a time?

So, the phrase that pays is "you are aromatic" now. let the suspensions begin if the shoe is on the other foot. 3 days now for players using the phrase that pays. What about players normal phrases that make this phrase look like a phrase from a Rachel Ray cooking class on rotten eggs.

go to 1.33:53 upper right hand corner.

If we said something like that in the local paper, you don't think there'd be repercussions?

Players and coaches get fined for criticizing officials to the press.

I'm going to be the sacrificial puffin guy - I think he should've been penalized for saying that.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, udbrky said:

If we said something like that in the local paper, you don't think there'd be repercussions?

Players and coaches get fined for criticizing officials to the press.

I'm going to be the sacrificial puffin guy - I think he should've been penalized for saying that.

I agree.  That's the kind of statement that a guy like Joe West can put in chapter four of his memoirs after he retires.