MLB Ejection 126 - Carlos Torres (5; Larry Bowa)

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2445 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

HP Umpire Carlos Torres ejected Phillies Bench Coach Larry Bowa (ball one call; QOCN) in the bottom of the 7th inning of the Phillies-Rockies game. With two out and one on, Rockies batter Charlie Blackmon took a 0-1 curveball from Phillies pitcher Aaron Nola for a called first ball. Replays...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

I don't agree that this was a bad miss or that it was right smack in the middle of the zone. The hitters stepping out which adds to the difficulty and F2 is reaching down and to his backhand to receive it. Where that pitch was received does not seem to match up with where the pitchcast had it.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, KenBAZ said:

I don't agree that this was a bad miss or that it was right smack in the middle of the zone. The hitters stepping out which adds to the difficulty and F2 is reaching down and to his backhand to receive it. Where that pitch was received does not seem to match up with where the pitchcast had it.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

agree. a lot of that had to do with the catchers movements.   And .... NEVER trust "Fox Trax" or "Pitchcast" from the broadcast....

4 hours ago, sthomas13100 said:

I know this was a big sweeping curve ball, but based on the catcher receiving the pitch, this is a ball.  No way this was thigh high!

Good job staying with that pitch Carlos!

Ball.jpg

Here's one where it's crossing the plate.    That's the problem with still pictures.   

phils rox.png

12 minutes ago, BrianC14 said:

Here's one where it's crossing the plate.    That's the problem with still pictures.   

phils rox.png

And neither of those shots show how low and how far that catcher took that pitch. No was he gets that call from me and the catcher ought to tell the pitcher that it was the catcher's fault on that call. That was a catcher screw up.

2 hours ago, umpstu said:

And neither of those shots show how low and how far that catcher took that pitch. No was he gets that call from me and the catcher ought to tell the pitcher that it was the catcher's fault on that call. That was a catcher screw up.

I've got a strike.   Que sera sera.

1 hour ago, dumbdumb said:

this is where pitch fx had the pitch(2). probably as the pitch hit the front of the plate.

numlocation.php-pitchSel=605400&game=gid

As I said, a terrible miss.

Frankly with the way the batter backed out, anything close should have been a strike.

• Like 1

I'm just going to go ahead and say it; if the catcher receives the ball that poorly, its a ball!  He lets the the ball travel too deep and stabs at it.  The pitch very well may have been at the knees at the front edge of the plate, but the catcher has to do a better job.  I would guess the reason Rupp was still barking from the dugout, is Carlos told him if he wants a strike there, do a better job of receiving the pitch.  And Rupp didn't like it.

As far as stepping out of the box, the batter is still fully within the boundary of the batter's box when the pitch is received. 

A lot of things are happening in that sequence. Whether Torres missed the pitch or not is, to me, irrelevant--if he missed it, big deal. If a coach wants to keep barking about a pitch and runs through a stop sign, he'll watch the rest of the game from the clubhouse/parking lot/tavern across the street.

• Like 1

It appears as though the batter ended up hitting a double, driving in a run to give COL a 2-1 lead.  I suppose that gives some context as to why Bowa was barking during the commercial break.

Totally agree that pitch is often going to be called a ball with the catcher standing up and stabbing the ball down as he catches it.  In a game we amateurs do without pitchcast, you'd probably hear as many complaints calling that a strike as you would a ball just due to the catcher making it look low.

5 hours ago, sthomas13100 said:

I'm just going to go ahead and say it; if the catcher receives the ball that poorly, its a ball!  He lets the the ball travel too deep and stabs at it.  The pitch very well may have been at the knees at the front edge of the plate, but the catcher has to do a better job.  I would guess the reason Rupp was still barking from the dugout, is Carlos told him if he wants a strike there, do a better job of receiving the pitch.  And Rupp didn't like it.

As far as stepping out of the box, the batter is still fully within the boundary of the batter's box when the pitch is received. 

I couldn't disagree more, call what it is, not what everyone perceives it to be. If it passes through the strike zone it is a strike, no matter where it ends up.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mussgrass said:

I couldn't disagree more, call what it is, not what everyone perceives it to be. If it passes through the strike zone it is a strike, no matter where it ends up.

At the MLB level and even college levels - the catcher has a lot to do with getting pitches called strikes. If the catcher receives it incorrectly, THEY will not get the pitch. Believe it or not - perception does count at that level and the pitcher and catcher both know it.

This pitch is a little different, because the catcher had to make the backhand to get himself in a position to throw - maybe the umpire just missed the pitch - sometimes that happens.

Is it right? Maybe not, but that is the way it is.

9 hours ago, sthomas13100 said:

That may hold true on a borderline pitch. This wasn't a borderline pitch by any stretch of the imagination.

It was two inches off the center of the plate and almost nine inches, or 38.3% of the entire zone, from the bottom of the zone.

That's a bad miss, regardless of how the catcher caught it.

It brings back memories of this sequence: