Between inning positioning

BT_Blue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2439 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Attending a Great West League (college summer ball game) and between innings the plate guy (who I don't think I know) goes to this spot in between innings while F1 warms up.

Has anyone seen this before or know if this is what is being taught? Both guys (two man crew) are super solid. But this has me perplexed.

20170717_204533.jpg

Never seen this.  

It does, however, beat the "my partner goes and sits in a chair off the field between innings" thread that has been going continuing on Facebook this week.

That's a new one on me. It surely removes the temptation to talk to the fence, and distances oneself from Coaches approaching you unsolicited. They can't sneak up on you from behind, drop comments under their breath in passing, or engage you in casual, hypothetical questions that "may resemble that last play, but are not exactly that last play that you judged my player interfered on." Coaches really don't have much business in crossing the chalk unless necessary.

15 minutes ago, lawump said:

Never seen this.  

It does, however, beat the "my partner goes and sits in a chair off the field between innings" thread that has been going continuing on Facebook this week.

If there are actually trolls defending this activity, that cements it for me that I will never be on a Facebook group.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, lawump said:

Never seen this.  

Ha!   Yesterday my (base) partner almost walked to short right field (closer to being in the way of F4 and F3 doing the warm ups), pulled his phone out of his back pocket, and engaged in some furious text messaging.  

7 minutes ago, MadMax said:

That's a new one on me. It surely removes the temptation to talk to the fence, and distances oneself from Coaches approaching you unsolicited. They can't sneak up on you from behind, drop comments under their breath in passing, or engage you in casual, hypothetical questions that "may resemble that last play, but are not exactly that last play that you judged my player interfered on." Coaches really don't have much business in crossing the chalk unless necessary.

If there are actually trolls defending this activity, that cements it for me that I will never be on a Facebook group.

troll(s).  (Plural)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lawump said:

Never seen this.  

Yeh. I read that and turned the other way. I only posted this same question on one other FB group. One that I pretty much knew would not be taken over by high and mighty Facebook Douchebag Umpires. That group is run by none other than our very own @Razzer.

6 hours ago, Jimurray said:

They had no between inning music? Wanted further away from peanut gallery comments?

There was for sure between inning music. I witnessed him multiple times signaling the score table (the booth itself is still under construction) to finish the music so they can start the inning.

In particular... was the 7th inning stretch where they got through just about the whole song of Sweet Caroline. He was not pleased. Lol

On 7/17/2017 at 11:54 PM, BT_Blue said:

Attending a Great West League (college summer ball game) and between innings the plate guy (who I don't think I know) goes to this spot in between innings while F1 warms up.

Has anyone seen this before or know if this is what is being taught? Both guys (two man crew) are super solid. But this has me perplexed.

20170717_204533.jpg

Looks like a good place to stand after you just rung up F2 on a perfect pitch at the knees and aren't quite ready to talk to him yet. 

• Like 2