Injury Scout - Flying Bat Clips Chris Segal in Head

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2445 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Josh Donaldson lost control of his bat, its flying barrel hitting the top of HP Umpire Chris Segal's mask/head. Christian Vazquez & Jordan Baker assist Segal.With one out and one on in the top of the 1st inning, Donaldson fouled off a pitch, losing his grip on the back during his swing,...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

19 minutes ago, ElkOil said:

Wear a helmet, folks. Whatever the cost, it's worth it.

I have an issue with sweating a lot and when I used a HSM it was as if I had Niagara Falls streaming into my eyes.  I wore it for two games and gave it to a new umpire.

1 hour ago, umpstu said:

I have an issue with sweating a lot and when I used a HSM it was as if I had Niagara Falls streaming into my eyes.  I wore it for two games and gave it to a new umpire.

What kind was it? I wonder if there are others with more absorbent pads? I bet @MadMax could give us some insight.

21 minutes ago, ElkOil said:

What kind was it? I wonder if there are others with more absorbent pads? I bet @MadMax could give us some insight.

All Star.  Not sure what model, but it was a bundle.

My ears are ringing.

Perhaps I should rephrase that, since I was visually notified and read that @ElkOil summoned me, not that I heard an alert. So, my eyeballs are... quaking?

Anyhow, my guess as to what @umpstu had for an HSM is it was an All-Star 2300, especially if it came from a bundled pack. This is All-Star's entry-level HSM, nowhere near as advanced as the first of the System 7 units, the 2500. Will the liner be more effective in these System 7 units? Surely, but no HSM is going to alleviate any sweating issues you have, full stop.

Without even watching the video, I know this is cringe-worthy, and is going to scare a few of you into considering an HSM purchase. I can't tell you what to do, but I will say that, yes, I have set up as PU in thousands of games, and have that pang of concern about a bat breaking or being let loose to hit me in the head... yet I will bluntly say I still will not wear a HSM. It's Traditional Mask or bust for me!

But can we overcome the "bust"? Yes, I believe we can... and I have a design in the formulation and conceptual stages to do just that.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MadMax said:

My ears are ringing.

Perhaps I should rephrase that, since I was visually notified and read that @ElkOil summoned me, not that I heard an alert. So, my eyeballs are... quaking?

Anyhow, my guess as to what @umpstu had for an HSM is it was an All-Star 2300, especially if it came from a bundled pack. This is All-Star's entry-level HSM, nowhere near as advanced as the first of the System 7 units, the 2500. Will the liner be more effective in these System 7 units? Surely, but no HSM is going to alleviate any sweating issues you have, full stop.

Without even watching the video, I know this is cringe-worthy, and is going to scare a few of you into considering an HSM purchase. I can't tell you what to do, but I will say that, yes, I have set up as PU in thousands of games, and have that pang of concern about a bat breaking or being let loose to hit me in the head... yet I will bluntly say I still will not wear a HSM. It's Traditional Mask or bust for me!

But can we overcome the "bust"? Yes, I believe we can... and I have a design in the formulation and conceptual stages to do just that.

It's exciting to me to know you and people like you are working on the next iteration of these things. I've worn a TM a few times, but have otherwise worm the Wilson Shock 2.0 HSM. The other day I decided to upgrade and ordered the Force 3 HSM from Ump-Attire (as well as a new pair of plate shoes). I'm stoked to see it in person.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ElkOil said:

It's exciting to me to know you and people like you are working on the next iteration of these things. I've worn a TM a few times, but have otherwise worn the Wilson Shock 2.0 HSM. The other day I decided to upgrade and ordered the Force 3 HSM from Ump-Attire (as well as a new pair of plate shoes). I'm stoked to see it in person.

You'll dig it, although it is a different animal than the Shock FX. It's heavier, for one, and while that may not seem too advantageous, remember that this heft is tied to the larger, more robust springs and the solid construction, which translates into better dampening of that impacting force. Viewscape is different, too, as you'll notice that there is a lot more standoff distance between your face and the cage; most of that is due to the spring assemblies.

The Shock FX is not a bad HSM. In fact, if Wilson was to sell the planform to another manufacturer to make and support, I'd fully endorse it. The problem is, Wilson didn't support the Shock FX as it needed to be supported, especially in its waning days. It may be more effective for umpires, but (and this cannot be emphasized enough) Wilson is not an umpire's company. They are a sporting goods manufacturer corporation, and are most interested in profit margins rather than providing solutions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MadMax said:

You'll dig it, although it is a different animal than the Shock FX. It's heavier, for one, and while that may not seem too advantageous, remember that this heft is tied to the larger, more robust springs and the solid construction, which translates into better dampening of that impacting force. Viewscape is different, too, as you'll notice that there is a lot more standoff distance between your face and the cage; most of that is due to the spring assemblies.

The Shock FX is not a bad HSM. In fact, if Wilson was to sell the planform to another manufacturer to make and support, I'd fully endorse it. The problem is, Wilson didn't support the Shock FX as it needed to be supported, especially in its waning days. It may be more effective for umpires, but (and this cannot be emphasized enough) Wilson is not an umpire's company. They are a sporting goods manufacturer corporation, and are most interested in profit margins rather than providing solutions.

Specific to springs in these applications, do they truly dampen? My rudimentary understanding of springs is that they transfer energy rather than actually dampen it.

• Like 1

Guys, I've worn and own all three if the HSM mentioned in this string. All of them are hot, all of them are heavy, but once you get used to it you stop noticing. Unlike my buddy[mention=2599]MadMax[/mention], I am unwilling to take the extra risk. With bats flying around, balls coming in from other fields, balls bouncing off short backstops, some of the pitcher/catcher mismatches along with the number of games I work I just feel safer with a helmet on. We can debate if any HSM protects better on balls that hit you from the front but there is no debate about them protecting you better from a bat in the side of the head like Segal get hit with.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, ElkOil said:

Specific to springs in these applications, do they truly dampen? My rudimentary understanding of springs is that they transfer energy rather than actually dampen it.

Ah, that's where the rubber washers – the shocks – come into the picture. Coiled springs translate linear force into a compressive force. The compression utilizes resistance and generates heat. Now, granted, that force energy has to go somewhere, most is returned as a reactive force in the opposite direction – the spring expands back to its original state and the cage snaps back. But, there still is some force that needs to travel along its original vector. This leftover, remaining force is what the (synthetic) rubber washers, gaskets, ferrules or bumpers are for. They are doing the dampening, along with the ABS plastic of the shell and then the pads of the liner.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MadMax said:

My ears are ringing.

I meant it cost a bundle of money. My bad.

5 hours ago, MadMax said:

My ears are ringing.

I'm more afraid of the bat breaking and winding up with part of it stuck in my thigh.

I wear the HSM for just this reason. Was watching last night and called SWMBO over so she could understand the reason for spending the extra money.
As far as protection goes, I also wear safety glasses and a mouthpiece when on the plate. I am also concerned about shrapnel and concussions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I bet if he was wearing that same helmet the catcher was wearing, either forwards like an umpire or backwards like a catcher, it would have helped.

Is an injury like this or surgery the reason he only worked 21 games last year when in the previous 2 years he had worked 116 and 111 games respectively??

3 minutes ago, dumbdumb said:

I bet if he was wearing that same helmet the catcher was wearing, either forwards like an umpire or backwards like a catcher, it would have helped.

Is an injury like this or surgery the reason he only worked 21 games last year when in the previous 2 years he had worked 116 and 111 games respectively??

No, the reason he only worked 21 games last year in MLB was because he was demoted from rover to triple a crew chief he worked the rest of his games in AAA with Matt McCoy who retired mid season replaced by Paul Clemons and Alex Tosi.

12 minutes ago, MLB umpire observer said:

No, the reason he only worked 21 games last year in MLB was because he was demoted from rover to triple a crew chief he worked the rest of his games in AAA with Matt McCoy who retired mid season replaced by Paul Clemons and Alex Tosi.

Ok, without getting into minute detail, was it pitch fx scores, situation handling, big leaguing it/popping off, or the old off the field situation that led to the demotion.

9 minutes ago, dumbdumb said:

Ok, without getting into minute detail, was it pitch fx scores, situation handling, big leaguing it/popping off, or the old off the field situation that led to the demotion.

I've met Chris twice at clinics the past couple years. This winter when I saw him, I said "I didn't see you too much this year". He just shrugged and said something like "It is what it is"..I sure wasn't going to pry.

I will say from spending a few days around him, it would absolutely shock me if it had anything to do with off field  things, or big leaguing it. He's a class act,and very dedicated to his profession...At least that's the  read I got being around him during clinics and 2 social gatherings.

30 minutes ago, dumbdumb said:

He was pretty quick in his timing on calls sometimes which led to some misses and his strike zone struggled sometimes, which he has improved on this season. Also Carlos Torres being rushed into full time duty due to age.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Richvee said:

I've met Chris twice at clinics the past couple years. This winter when I saw him, I said "I didn't see you too much this year". He just shrugged and said something like "It is what it is"..I sure wasn't going to pry.

I will say from spending a few days around him, it would absolutely shock me if it had anything to do with off field  things, or big leaguing it. He's a class act,and very dedicated to his profession...At least that's the  read I got being around him during clinics and 2 social gatherings.

Don't tell me it was the Scioscia ejection on August 1, 2015 followed by the Matt Carpenter ejection in the same month on August 22, 2015 that got him in the doghouse for a whole years worth of games basically. Say it isn't so, that Scioscia has that much power.

14 minutes ago, MLB umpire observer said:

He was pretty quick in his timing on calls sometimes which led to some misses and his strike zone struggled sometimes, which he has improved on this season. Also Carlos Torres being rushed into full time duty due to age.

thanks. Plate work drives the Cadillac and just like anyone who starts late but observers say is an MLBU, has to move quicker.