Guest Ryan

Balk...Yes or No?

Question

Guest Ryan

I am an assistant baseball coach in Central NY.  We had some pitchers in the area this year put their foot on the rubber, take the sign, take the ball out of their glove and put behind their back and then come set.  A balk was never called.  I was under the impression that if a pitcher had the ball in his glove, had his foot on the rubber, and then transferred the ball out of his glove and then came set, it was a balk.  Please let me know.  Thanks!

8 answers to this question

Balk. Even if he started to bring his hands together and stopped, that's a balk. He has to come set and then step off if he wants to take the ball out of his glove without pitching. 

On 7/11/2017 at 4:45 PM, Guest Ryan said:

I am an assistant baseball coach in Central NY.  We had some pitchers in the area this year put their foot on the rubber, take the sign, take the ball out of their glove and put behind their back and then come set.  A balk was never called.  I was under the impression that if a pitcher had the ball in his glove, had his foot on the rubber, and then transferred the ball out of his glove and then came set, it was a balk.  Please let me know.  Thanks!

What age group and what  rule set were these games played under?

On 7/11/2017 at 6:19 PM, LittleBlue said:

Balk. Even if he started to bring his hands together and stopped, that's a balk. He has to come set and then step off if he wants to take the ball out of his glove without pitching. 

He can take the ball out of his glove to try a pickoff can't he?  You don't need to disengage to do a pickoff do you?

1 minute ago, Rich Ives said:

He can take the ball out of his glove to try a pickoff can't he?  You don't need to disengage to do a pickoff do you?

But you do need to step to the base you are thowing to when you do it or step off when you do it. But stepping on the rubber and going to your glove for the ball is not a balk if that is what the OP postulated.

8 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

But you do need to step to the base you are thowing to when you do it or step off when you do it. But stepping on the rubber and going to your glove for the ball is not a balk if that is what the OP postulated.

Little blue said you can't take the ball from your glove unless it's pitch.  Pointing out where he was incorrect.

AND as you can't pitch until after you come set, how can it be deceptive and thus a balk to switch the ball from glove to hand before coming set. In fact, it's pretty hard to pitch if you don't switch if from glove to hand at some point.  

AND furthermore - you can pick as you are moving to come set and you have to take the ball from the glove to do so.

8 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

Little blue said you can't take the ball from your glove unless it's pitch.  Pointing out where he was incorrect.

AND as you can't pitch until after you come set, how can it be deceptive and thus a balk to switch the ball from glove to hand before coming set. In fact, it's pretty hard to pitch if you don't switch if from glove to hand at some point.  

AND furthermore - you can pick as you are moving to come set and you have to take the ball from the glove to do so.

Putting your hands together while in contact with the rubber, other than a momentary adjustment, is seen as coming set even when it is done while leaning in for the sign and any move after that not associated with a pitch or pick will be balked. Personally, I consider reaching for the ball as in the OP as "momentary" adjustment but I'm stretching the MLBUM interp. NCAA and FED would not allow me to do that.

10 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

I see what you're saying and you're right about a pickoff. OP said that F1 leaned in for a sign, took the ball out of his glove, put it behind his back and then came set. The hands coming together the breaking before coming set is where I'm balking this. 

On 7/13/2017 at 9:19 AM, Jimurray said:

Putting your hands together while in contact with the rubber, other than a momentary adjustment, is seen as coming set even when it is done while leaning in for the sign and any move after that not associated with a pitch or pick will be balked. Personally, I consider reaching for the ball as in the OP as "momentary" adjustment but I'm stretching the MLBUM interp. NCAA and FED would not allow me to do that.

I believe the momentary adjustment would extend to removing the ball from the glove, as long as the move was "momentary in nature.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.