Batters box

Guest Joe
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2458 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Is the batters box 4 feet wide and 6 feet long no matter the age group and distance of the bases? I figured it was just wanted to make sure because I did a 10U game without the batters' boxes being marked.

13 answers to this question

55 minutes ago, Guest Joe said:

Is the batters box 4 feet wide and 6 feet long no matter the age group and distance of the bases? I figured it was just wanted to make sure because I did a 10U game without the batters' boxes being marked.

The OBR/FED/NCAA box is 6' x 4'

LL majors and below is 6' x  3'

LL intermediate and up is 6' x 4'

Centered on the center of HP.

21 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:

The OBR/FED/NCAA box is 6' x 4' 

LL majors and below is 6' x  3'

LL intermediate and up is 6' x 4'

Centered on the center of HP.

4" away from plate on 60' diamond and 6" away on 70 - 90' diamonds. "White line" strikes on the small diamond can actually be strikes.

6 hours ago, Jimurray said:

4" away from plate on 60' diamond and 6" away on 70 - 90' diamonds. "White line" strikes on the small diamond can actually be strikes.

The ball is about 3" in diameter. While just touching the stripe could be called a strike a ball completely over the stripe is a ball - period.

When? Pitches don't just move forward along the batter's box line. They move in or out, often across the plate and then into the space between the plate and the box.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, KenBAZ said:

When? Pitches don't just move forward along the batter's box line. They move in or out, often across the plate and then into the space between the plate and the box.

When it's passing by the strike zone. Why even think any other location?

Because we are describing pitches as if they can't be both over the plate at one point and on the batter's box line as well. A pitch received on the batter's box line is not necessarily a ball, it depends on the path it took to get there.

1 hour ago, KenBAZ said:

Because we are describing pitches as if they can't be both over the plate at one point and on the batter's box line as well. A pitch received on the batter's box line is not necessarily a ball, it depends on the path it took to get there.

Yes, but it doesn't matter where it was received, it only matters where it passed the plate, so the context of any discussion should imply the location of the ball as it passes the plate....not three feet behind it.

It can pass over the plate and be on the line before it gets beyond the plate. You have to consider the whole path of the pitch from the time it enters the plate area to when it exits. It's not a single point in time or a location. If someone where to ask me where a pitch was I'd have to describe it something like this; "it was running arm side, caught the inside corner at the knees and finished down and in". I is simplistic to say it's on the corner or on the batter's box line.

28 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

Yes, but it doesn't matter where it was received, it only matters where it passed the plate, so the context of any discussion should imply the location of the ball as it passes the plate....not three feet behind it.

I haven't seen good receivers ever catch a pitch that far back. 

On 7/4/2017 at 10:31 AM, Jimurray said:

I haven't seen good receivers ever catch a pitch that far back. 

If the batter's at the back of the box the (good) receivers are certainly that far back and further, if they don't want CI on every swing  (I taught my catchers to make sure they can touch the batter's back leg from their squat).   Back line of the batter's box is ~2.5' from the point of the plate...three feet from the middle of the plate, and over 3.5' from the front of the plate, which could conceivably be the only part of the plate the pitch touches.

It's very easy for a catcher to receive a ball  four feet beyond the point where the ball caught the front corner of the plate, and as you know could be easily 6 inches off the plate by the time it is received.

• Like 1