Face shield

conbo61
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2481 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Dust bowl game tonight (before the thunderstorms rolled through) and on a couple of pitches up in the zone, I caught a face full of dirt as the catcher caught them in front of my face. The dirt on the face did not bother me, but I did get a little in my eyes.

It got me wondering, has anyone considered a face/eye guard for an umpire mask? Something similar to what NFL players wear.

I can see fogging as an issue, but if coated with anti-fogging material, this can be addressed.

Pros?  Cons?

Would get too dirty, especially not good for wet games. I'd look at either clear lense or yellow lense sports glasses. I like the yellow polarized for evening games, mine are shooting glasses and really help pick up the ball better than I did with the clear.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tksjewelry said:

Would get too dirty, especially not good for wet games. I'd look at either clear lense or yellow lense sports glasses. I like the yellow polarized for evening games, mine are shooting glasses and really help pick up the ball better than I did with the clear.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Good idea on the shooting glasses.

• Like 2

They do have a face shield for hockey style masks. I was looking into one when I had the All-Star MVP 2500, but when I sold the mask I didn't follow up.

I'm not aware of anything for a traditional style mask, although after catching a face full of dirt I can see your point and wish there was something.

IMG_1249.PNG

I wear Oakley Radar Pitch with G30 lenses. The coverage is great, keeping dirt from getting to my eyes, and the G30's are the best all around lens I have used. I can wear them for a game that starts in sunlight and ends under the lights with no issues whatsoever. YMMV, but I am on the same frames I bought 10 years ago, and only on the 2nd lens. I just change out the ear socks and nose bumper twice a year for 14 bucks a pop, and they are like new again. Best sunglasses I've ever owned.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

These used to keep the sand/dust out of my eyes.............

Image result for marine corps sun and sand goggles

I'm going to assume you mean the very large machine gun. And not the very very large helicopter behind you.