Jump to content
MadMax

Immense Plug for the Force3 Defender Mask

Recommended Posts

I'm sitting in a Texas Roadhouse after calling 9 baseball games over the past 3 days in 117°+ Arizona heat, watching the Mets get shellacked yet again by the Dodgers, when I notice the camera zoom way, way, waaaaaayyyyy in on Travis d'Arnaud and the Force3 Defender mask he's wearing. Travis is new to the Defender TM, having previously used the Mizuno Samurai HSM. The Samurai is one of the most thoroughly padded HSMs on the market, but doesn't get enough play besides the sleeker, more sculpted All-Star System 7's and Easton M-series.

With the camera zoomed in on the telltale, trademark springs of the Defender, I begin reading the closed captioning of the two ESPN broadcasters discussing the details of the mask, and how it is progressively suited to reducing impact force and the likelihood of concussions. The camera pans to show all three spring points, and even shows the profile shape, with the broadcasters pointing out the standoff distance. They go on to say several catchers in the league are now using it, and there is now a hockey-style version on the market (the Defender HSM).

In a move of directorial brilliance (the guy in the truck should get an Emmy nomination), the camera then pans to zoom in on Lance Barksdale as PU for tonight's game... wearing a Wilson Titanium Low Profile... with Wilson leather wraparound pads...

Sigh. Facepalm.

The broadcasters then contrast the Defender TM against the Wilson TiLP, and how little protection it affords the umpire. Barksdale's nose is on the verge of poking out of the eyeport, and the mask is nearly flat on his face. One of the broadcasters laments, "I never saw the point of that mask".

#TimeForChange #GetWiseOffWilson #OtherOptionsExist #HeadInTheGame

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, MadMax said:

I'm sitting in a Texas Roadhouse after calling 9 baseball games over the past 3 days in 117°+ Arizona heat, watching the Mets get shellacked yet again by the Dodgers, when I notice the camera zoom way, way, waaaaaayyyyy in on Travis d'Arnaud and the Force3 Defender mask he's wearing. Travis is new to the Defender TM, having previously used the Mizuno Samurai HSM. The Samurai is one of the most thoroughly padded HSMs on the market, but doesn't get enough play besides the sleeker, more sculpted All-Star System 7's and Easton M-series.

With the camera zoomed in on the telltale, trademark springs of the Defender, I begin reading the closed captioning of the two ESPN broadcasters discussing the details of the mask, and how it is progressively suited to reducing impact force and the likelihood of concussions. The camera pans to show all three spring points, and even shows the profile shape, with the broadcasters pointing out the standoff distance. They go on to say several catchers in the league are now using it, and there is now a hockey-style version on the market (the Defender HSM).

In a move of directorial brilliance (the guy in the truck should get an Emmy nomination), the camera then pans to zoom in on Lance Barksdale as PU for tonight's game... wearing a Wilson Titanium Low Profile... with Wilson leather wraparound pads...

Sigh. Facepalm.

The broadcasters then contrast the Defender TM against the Wilson TiLP, and how little protection it affords the umpire. Barksdale's nose is on the verge of poking out of the eyeport, and the mask is nearly flat on his face. One of the broadcasters laments, "I never saw the point of that mask".

#TimeForChange #GetWiseOffWilson #OtherOptionsExist #HeadInTheGame

That low profile is horrible.  I got hit in some MSBL games while wearing it and I was messed up the following day.  The sun was killing my eyes and my head was pounding.  Glad I got rid of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was watching the game too and saw the springs! I said "hey, I wear that mask!"

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MadMax said:

I'm sitting in a Texas Roadhouse after calling 9 baseball games over the past 3 days in 117°+ Arizona heat, watching the Mets get shellacked yet again by the Dodgers, when I notice the camera zoom way, way, waaaaaayyyyy in on Travis d'Arnaud and the Force3 Defender mask he's wearing. Travis is new to the Defender TM, having previously used the Mizuno Samurai HSM. The Samurai is one of the most thoroughly padded HSMs on the market, but doesn't get enough play besides the sleeker, more sculpted All-Star System 7's and Easton M-series.

With the camera zoomed in on the telltale, trademark springs of the Defender, I begin reading the closed captioning of the two ESPN broadcasters discussing the details of the mask, and how it is progressively suited to reducing impact force and the likelihood of concussions. The camera pans to show all three spring points, and even shows the profile shape, with the broadcasters pointing out the standoff distance. They go on to say several catchers in the league are now using it, and there is now a hockey-style version on the market (the Defender HSM).

In a move of directorial brilliance (the guy in the truck should get an Emmy nomination), the camera then pans to zoom in on Lance Barksdale as PU for tonight's game... wearing a Wilson Titanium Low Profile... with Wilson leather wraparound pads...

Sigh. Facepalm.

The broadcasters then contrast the Defender TM against the Wilson TiLP, and how little protection it affords the umpire. Barksdale's nose is on the verge of poking out of the eyeport, and the mask is nearly flat on his face. One of the broadcasters laments, "I never saw the point of that mask".

#TimeForChange #GetWiseOffWilson #OtherOptionsExist #HeadInTheGame

But you just know there's a phone call being made to MLB from Wilson execs this morning. 

On another note. .... 117 ?  And that many games?  Do you bring water and Gatorade in on pallets, or do you have an IV system set up, with hydration sensors?   Holy cow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, BrianC14 said:

But you just know there's a phone call being made to MLB from Wilson execs this morning. 

On another note. .... 117 ?  And that many games?  Do you bring water and Gatorade in on pallets, or do you have an IV system set up, with hydration sensors?   Holy cow. 

Camelback.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think ESPN had 3 of the 4 games this weekend. Pretty sure they talked about D'Arnaud and his mask in every one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
But you just know there's a phone call being made to MLB from Wilson execs this morning. 
On another note. .... 117 ?  And that many games?  Do you bring water and Gatorade in on pallets, or do you have an IV system set up, with hydration sensors?   Holy cow. 

Guys, I've been down with the shoulder surgery but it has been a scary dangerous situation for us here in the dessert southwest. I've tried to monitor a few guys like@MadMax who are working multiple games daily in some record tempatures. We have lots of showcase games, LL, men's league and collegiate summer league games to cover and many umpires have decided it's not worth the risk.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KenBAZ said:


Guys, I've been down with the shoulder surgery but it has been a scary dangerous situation for us here in the dessert southwest. I've tried to monitor a few guys like@MadMax who are working multiple games daily in some record tempatures. We have lots of showcase games, LL, men's league and collegiate summer league games to cover and many umpires have decided it's not worth the risk.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
 

Agreed. It has been miserable here in the Coachella Valley for the past week and I'm glad the one game I had this week I had to travel 130 miles.  When I left the valley Tuesday to do the game it was 123.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad I no longer live down there! 

Sure baseball isn't year round up here. But I'll take today as our first near 100 degree day this year verses it being the 60th like it has been down there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Agreed. It has been miserable here in the Coachella Valley for the past week and I'm glad the one game I had this week I had to travel 130 miles.  When I left the valley Tuesday to do the game it was 123.

I drove through the Coachella Valley the other day on my way to the O.C. . It was hot as hell. Be smart, good luck.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@KenBAZSaw some snarky remark about the news reports on Arizona indicating that it's so damn hot, they're running out of colors to indicate it on the map.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plenty of games available. I've had my assignors teaching out to me even though my arm is still in a sling.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2017 at 1:47 PM, KenBAZ said:

Plenty of games available. I've had my assignors teaching out to me even though my arm is still in a sling.

Yeah, but it was your right arm, Ken... you'd have been worthless. We need strikes, buddy. Strikes. Only "vociferous" strike-callers like Omer and I could get away with not using an arm mechanic.

... and pardon me for pulling an old thread up from the cellar of the past, gang.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yeah, but it was your right arm, Ken... you'd have been worthless. We need strikes, buddy. Strikes. Only "vociferous" strike-callers like Omer and I could get away with not using an arm mechanic.

... and pardon me for pulling an old thread up from the cellar of the past, gang.

Perhaps the increase in temps here got you thinking about this thread. Congratulations on getting your first state playoff game here in AZ[mention=2599]MadMax[/mention]!

 

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KenBAZ said:

Perhaps the increase in temps here got you thinking about this thread. Congratulations on getting your fist state playoff game here in AZ@MadMax!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
 

Think we need to know if his game(s) will be televised or streamed somewhere? So that we may watch him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2017 at 6:34 AM, CJK said:

It's a dry heat.

So is my oven and I don't spend 3 days in it.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • By Mr Ump
      Never used, still in the bag with the fresh smell....Force 3 V2 Chest Protector...Inbox your best offer...

    • By Young_Ump
      About a year and a half ago a person from my other job said he hadn't umpired in forever, and gave me his old gear. Included was this mask frame (no pads or harness) and I can't figure out what make/model it is. It looks a lot like an All-star or Rawlings, but I haven't found any exact matches. Any ideas?
       
       

    • By The Short Umpire
      Adidas Icon, Maroon Pads, Powder Coated Silver. New. $120 Shipped
      Not pictured in link: 36”  unhemmed Smitty poly spandex plate pants with expander waste  $45 shipped ($30 if purchased as an add-on)
      Smitty V2 MLB replica Blue shirt, only used a couple times. Size Large. $30 shipped ($20 if purchased as an add-on)
      Open to offers and package deals. 
       
      https://imgur.com/gallery/RXKGAq2
       
    • By codizzle
      Adidas Steel Mask (original pads/harness) - $80
      Brand new, never worn
       
      UMPLIFE Flex Harness - $15
      Some of the excess slack has been trimmed
       
      Wilson 6” Throat Guard - $10
      Brand new, never worn
       
      Prices include shipping.

    • By codizzle
      Wilson Dyna-Lite - $25 shipped
      (Normal wear/no dents)
       
      Mizuno 2QA-122 - $100 shipped
      (Normal wear/no dents/original harness/pads)    SOLD!
       
      Wilson 6” Throat Guard - $10 shipped
      (Used in one game/no damage)
       
      Wilson Two-Tone Leather Pads - $20 shipped
      (New/never used in a game)    SOLD!
       
       
       
       
×
×
  • Create New...