CWS Jeff Head

dl1340
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2471 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I thought a little quick too, which may have affected some decisions on pitches at the border. In my experiences and some others that I have seen...which are way less awesome experiences than CWS, but still somewhat big for a scrub like me...is that sometimes the bigger the game, the quicker our timing becomes and we need to really focus on what got us to "x" position, slow down and go to work. 

I'm sure there will be a variety of opinions. I'll sit back and read. 

On 6/20/2017 at 6:56 PM, catsbackr said:

Yeah, I'm probably not going to critique an umpire in the CWS....

Just saying...

They, like anybody else, are not immune to feedback. In fact, typically the guys at the top are the best at giving and receiving feedback. Watch the guys who have better plates...generally, they're a bit slower on their timing and they're more likely to get pitches at the border correct. Nobody is saying he doesn't belong in Omaha...just that the idea that any umpire is perfect regardless of where they're working and that average guys like us aren't capable of picking up on little things that guys could at least consider for feedback is pretty arrogant. 

Just sayin' 

I didn't start this thread to say he is a bad umpire. I just notice how his strike mechanic was different and he was very fast on his delivery of strike calls. Some of the other guys that I seen at CWS, took a second to call a strike and their mechanic looked sharper to me. Was just throwing it out there to see if anyone else had noticed it as well

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dl1340 said:

I didn't start this thread to say he is a bad umpire. I just notice how his strike mechanic was different and he was very fast on his delivery of strike calls. Some of the other guys that I seen at CWS, took a second to call a strike and their mechanic looked sharper to me. Was just throwing it out there to see if anyone else had noticed it as well

Sometimes (often) very good umpires have habits / mechanics that we would never teach to a newer umpire.  Or, if an umpire were struggling, the suggestion might be to change the habit / mechanic.  But, if an umpire gets the calls right, the coaches / players / supervisors don't care if he stands on his head and calls the pitch before it leaves the pitcher's hand.

He got there for a reason - I didn't see the game. I work with some very good umpires that seem quicker than others, but that may be their style, as long as they get the calls right, then he is ok. I also work with some guys who are slow making the calls, but don't see the ball all the way to the mitt, and call it out front.

If he is seeing the ball all the way to the glove, making his decision and calling the pitch - then he can be as fast or slow as he likes in his style.

• Like 1