Throat Guard placement

coachump4
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2477 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I watched the ump attire video on the proper place to attach the throat Guard on a mask however I have the Wilson Shock 2.0 helmet and need to know the proper place to attach my Wilson Gold 6 inch Guard. Any comments or pictures would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What? Both catcher and umpire with the eyes closed? 
@kylehutson you are my dog. I can't get away with anything with you. It's just like my second marriage. I was talking about the helmet/throat guard setup of course. My stance is similar, my left hand would not be on top of my kneecap like that however. I think his eyes are down in the strike zone not closed. He's prepared to track the pitch into the glove.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, KenBAZ said:

@kylehutson you are my dogemoji1.png. I can't get away with anything with you. It's just like my second marriage. I was talking about the helmet/throat guard setup of course. My stance is similar, my left hand would not be on top of my kneecap like that however. I think his eyes are down in the strike zone not closed. He's prepared to track the pitch into the glove.

Ken, you put the regular TG on the outside of the Shock helmet?  

3 hours ago, kylehutson said:

What? Both catcher and umpire with the eyes closed? ;)

4 minutes ago, kylehutson said:

Oh, I knew what you meant. But that's not nearly as much fun.

Speaking of fun, what's wrong with closing your eyes? My "setup" is to close my eyes at the time of the pitch, then listen for the ball to hit the catcher's glove. Then I open them, and call the glove. I get lots of comments on how I never flinch, I'm rock solid, I have great timing, and I am very consistent! I'm never distracted by anything prior to the ball arriving at the plate. I let my partner call balks; if he does call one I open my eyes, point, and echo his "balk."

If anyone notices I have my eyes closed and asks about it, I just put on sunglasses. Result: no more annoying questions.

Having your eyes open is overrated!

:P :Cool2:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KenBAZ said:

Yes, I think of it as the max protection package.

Doesn't that leave a gap between the TG and your neck when you're in the crouch? 

The reason I ask is that I use the TG that was designed for the Shock,  and it hangs directly below and swings freely in order to allow it to catch on my CP if a ball should come into contact with it. 

Doesn't that leave a gap between the TG and your neck when you're in the crouch? 
The reason I ask is that I use the TG that was designed for the Shock,  and it hangs directly below and swings freely in order to allow it to catch on my CP if a ball should come into contact with it. 

Look at the top image. That Wilson throat guard is long enough that if it gets hit it just swings back and hits my CP. Is there another throat guard you think was designed for the Shock FX?

12 hours ago, KenBAZ said:

Yes, I think of it as the max protection package.

Kind of the way the Nutty Buddy is the max package protection...

• Like 1