SAEJohn

Narrowing Down Chest Protectors

A couple years ago I bought the Champion Body Armor and the Champro Pro Plus Plate Armor from Ump Attire.  Before Ump Attire had the free shipping both ways, I was torn between the two and bought both with the idea of returning the one I didn't like on my own dime.  Ended up keeping both and wearing the Champion last season and the Champro this season.

The Champion is low profile and a good chest protector.  The stock straps are super cheap and should be replaced immediately.  I bought the Delta Flex which made it fit much, much better but ultimately did not have enough length for the CP to be as comfortable as it should have been.  I let the straps out as far as they would go and it still pulled the CP up so far it was uncomfortable.  Seems I've heard that complaint from other folks on here as well and the solution was to buy the one from Razzer.

The Champro costs about $20 more than the Champion but the straps are a much higher quality and didn't need replaced.  That made them about equal in price.  Folks are all different, but for me, the Champro just fits better than the Champion. 

Both seem like good CP's for the money, but I've ditched the Champion for the Champro.  For reference I do high school varsity level and down.   

On 6/14/2017 at 2:01 PM, mbkcoach said:

Post pics of yalls schutts please

The bottom straps actually fit over the bottom of the hard shell (above that extended padding you see) when I wear it, but here's what it looks like. Take note that I couldn't find seat belt strap as Max suggested, so I just used some cheap Amazon nylon strap. It twists up a bit but I don't notice it other than aesthetics. 

Schutt.png.65de3f088de3d6c815c440445ca5c7e7.png

On 6/14/2017 at 2:34 PM, blue32 said:

You sound like a good fit for a West Vest Platinum. I have seen great condition used ones for as low as $50 with some creative searches. A new one can be had here for $115:

http://baseball.epicsports.com/prod/93036/pro-platinum-baseball-umpires-chest-protector.html

I also saw a full set of Tag gear that looked to be in really good shape somewhere out there just yesterday. Can't remember exactly where but if you want I can try and track it down a little later tonight after my game.

That would be $125 delivered. Smoking deal.

I will concur with everybody who is saying to avoid anything but a hard shell. I've got both a West Vest Gold (bought it used years ago and retrofitted it with the All Star harness) and a 15" All Star System 7. I rarely wear the West Vest any more. The All Star's pads are easy to take out to throw in the wash, and once I got the thing adjusted it's so comfortable I'll almost forget I'm wearing it during a game. You could probably find one used for around $100. FWIW I'm 6'1" and 215 lbs.