Batters box

Guest John
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2495 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

17 answers to this question

I see no reason that you can't. If it isn't correct, then erase it. It gets erased during the game, and we have to 'guestimate' where it is, so how would this be different?

If there is a question for the batter, use his bat to draw it for him.

On 5/28/2017 at 1:02 PM, Guest John said:

Is it legal for the umpire to remove the inside line of the batters box

The batter's box and foul lines exist regardless of whether or not lines are drawn, and where they are isn't defined by the drawn lines. So lines or no lines, there's still a box in a fixed location on the field.

Well, it's not illegal, in the sense that there's no rule forbidding it and no penalty for it being done. 

I'd be curious as to why it was removed. Other than it being misdrawn, I can't think of any other good reason for doing that. 

1 hour ago, BretMan said:

Well, it's not illegal, in the sense that there's no rule forbidding it and no penalty for it being done. 

I'd be curious as to why it was removed. Other than it being misdrawn, I can't think of any other good reason for doing that. 

One would be an old one in that you didn't want lime in your eyes. The other would be if you want to call white line strikes and not look so bad. NCAA called some guys on it this year.

On 5/28/2017 at 11:12 AM, noumpere said:

It's not really covered in OBR... And, sometimes, the line is misplaced -- I'd rather have no line than a (grossly) incorrect line.

Some codes require that all four sides be marked.

I'm with @noumpere on this one. Sometimes the boxes are grossly disoriented or disproportionate, and actually makes the job more difficult.

@noumpere, which codes require all 4 sides of boxes, and what are we as umpires to do if that isn't met at a game venue? (I'm alluding more to tournament or neutral site venues wherein home and away is determined at the plate meeting).

25 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

The other would be if you want to call white line strikes and not look so bad.

Do you think, @Jimurray, that there are really guys calling box-to-box as a zone, and are removing the incriminating (on video) lines-of-reference??

What I see most is the batters erasing the back line of the box.  The deeper they can get, the better.

And on another note, it is always funny to me when daddy coaches tell their batters to "move up in the box" if the pitchers are throwing curve balls or throwing slowly.  Makes no sense.

2 hours ago, noumpere said:

NCAA (I think)

Yup.

NCAA 1.3.A:

Batters' boxes, catcher's box, coaches' boxes, next batter's box and the 3-foot first base restraining line shall be laid out in accordance with the diagram. All lines must be marked with chalk or nonburning white material and must be 2 to 3 inches in width. The line is inside the diamond proper at first and third base. The outside edge of the line should correspond with the outside edge of the base.

Art. a.

Before a contest, it is mandatory to line all four sides of the 4 feet by 6 feet batter's box as shown in the diagram above and on page 15. At the time of the pitch, the batter shall have both feet inside the batter's box.

There's also this:

Rule 3.6

Art j.

Players and coaches are prohibited from deliberately erasing the batter’s box or other lines. Umpires must stop the individual from erasing the lines.

A.R.—The umpire has authority to require the batter to stand in a proper batting position. He may require the grounds crew to reline the box. After a warning, individuals who repeatedly commit this infraction may be ejected.

8 hours ago, MadMax said:

I'm with @noumpere on this one. Sometimes the boxes are grossly disoriented or disproportionate, and actually makes the job more difficult.

@noumpere, which codes require all 4 sides of boxes, and what are we as umpires to do if that isn't met at a game venue? (I'm alluding more to tournament or neutral site venues wherein home and away is determined at the plate meeting).

Do you think, @Jimurray, that there are really guys calling box-to-box as a zone, and are removing the incriminating (on video) lines-of-reference??

No NCAA umpires eliminated the lines. NCAA just had video of guys calling white line strikes. NCAA added the incriminating lines on the video. Box to box is not unrealistic until the ball catches some of the box. I've seen other level guys eliminate the lines to expand their zone. 

14 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

No NCAA umpires eliminated the lines. NCAA just had video of guys calling white line strikes. NCAA added the incriminating lines on the video. Box to box is not unrealistic until the ball catches some of the box. I've seen other level guys eliminate the lines to expand their zone. 

I've had umpires tell me they wipe it to eliminate the chintzy footprint arguments you can get from coaches, catchers and batters on whether or not the batter was in or out of the box - especially in softball where you have a couple of players on each team who invariably do running slaps.

I was working a high school tournament over the weekend and had the opposite issue:   whoever lined the filed didn't bother with the inside (nearest the plate) lines at all.   But good on 'em, they gave us the outside lines.   :huh:

1 hour ago, Jimurray said:

I've seen other level guys eliminate the lines to expand their zone. 

If you want to call an expanded zone, go for it, but why on earth do you need to remove the lines, just call a big zone. I have never in my life seen an umpire remove the batting box lines. That is crazy. 

As the OP, If they don't have the boxes, play the game, its not really that big of an issue, I can count one hand the times that I've had to call out of the box. honestly, in my younger days when I did lower level stuff i've been on fields without foul lines. I just played the game and did the best I could, then went to the house. 

1 hour ago, White47 said:

I have never in my life seen an umpire remove the batting box lines. That is crazy.

Most of the fields that I work on are lined by high school or college kids who drag/mark 4-8 fields in a fifteen minute window and then go play video games and nap until the next turnaround.  They're not always meticulous.

I have removed the batter's box lines when they were egregiously bad (out of square so badly that the inside corner of the box is behind the plate, or sized ridiculously small).  I've also removed a foul line that was bowed out over 3 feet.

I'd rather not engage in an argument with some bucket-butt over whether a ball is fair/foul based on a ridiculous line, whether a batter remained in a tiny box, or how that pitch can be a strike when the catcher is set up behind the batter's box.

• Like 3