Balk question

grozzly
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2502 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hello USA ! 

I was watching a french game on FB this week-end and saw something i've never seen before.

R3, outs don't matter, OBR.

RHP is in wind up, starts his motion, and as he raises his free foot, stops for a good second, "fixing the runner" before going towards home plate to make his pitch. 

I know we call a balk if the pitcher does this if in set-up, but what about if he does it during a wind-up ?? 

Thanks ^^

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello USA ! 
I was watching a french game on FB this week-end and saw something i've never seen before.
R3, outs don't matter, OBR.
RHP is in wind up, starts his motion, and as he raises his free foot, stops for a good second, "fixing the runner" before going towards home plate to make his pitch. 
I know we call a balk if the pitcher does this if in set-up, but what about if he does it during a wind-up ?? 
Thanks ^^

Typically not called because he has committed to his windup pitching motion... No advantage gained anywhere so true umpiring will not call this as a 'start-stop' ... He's just giving the runner more time to steal home if desired.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Just now, ALStripes17 said:

Typically not called because he has committed to his windup pitching motion... No advantage gained anywhere so true umpiring will not call this as a 'start-stop' ... He's just giving the runner more time to steal home if desired.

Very true. I'm surprised I haven't seen a R3 break for home when the pitcher starts his wind up, trying to draw and pick off and in turn a balk. 

1 hour ago, ALStripes17 said:

Exactly ! that's what i was thinking about. Once his free foot has moved off the plate, he has no other solution than pitching to the batter, so it doesn't change anything if he stops his motion for a second, he must throw to the batter anyway...